Excerpts from Quran: Hypocrisy, Idolatry (polytheism) and Faithlessness
- And when they fall in with those who believe, they say: We believe; but when they go apart to their devils they declare: Lo! we are with you; verily we did but mock.
Allah (Himself) doth mock them, leaving them to wander blindly on in their contumacy.
These are they who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they guided.
Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him Allah taketh away their light and leaveth them in darkness, where they cannot see.
Deaf, dumb and blind; and they return not.Al-Baqara - 2:14-18
- Enjoin ye righteousness upon mankind while ye yourselves forget (to practise it)? And ye are readers of the Scripture! Have ye then no sense?
Al-Baqara - 2:44
- Who has made the earth your couch, and the heavens your canopy; and sent down rain from the heavens; and brought forth therewith fruits for your sustenance; then set not up rivals unto Allah when ye know (the truth).
Al-Baqara - 2:22
- And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolaters.
Al-Baqara - 2:135
Yet there are men who take (for worship) others besides Allah, as equal (with Allah); they love them as they should love Allah. But those of faith are overflowing in their love for Allah. If only the unrighteous could see, behold, they would see the Punishment: that to Allah belongs all power, and Allah will strongly enforce the Punishment.Al-Baqara - 2:165
- The parable of those who reject faith is as if one were to shout like a goat-herd, to things that listen to nothing but calls and cries; deaf, dumb, and blind. They are void of wisdom.
Al-Baqara - 2:171
- (On that Day) neither the riches nor the progeny of those who disbelieve will aught avail them with Allah. They will be fuel for Fire.
Like Pharaoh's folk and those who were before them, they disbelieved Our revelations and so Allah seized them for their sins. And Allah is severe in punishment.Aal-e-Imran - 3:10-11
- It is not (possible) for any human being unto whom Allah had given the Scripture and wisdom and the prophethood that he should afterwards have said unto mankind: Be slaves of me instead of Allah; but (what he said was): Be ye faithful servants of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching of the Scripture and of your constant study thereof.
And he commanded you not that ye should take the angels and the prophets for lords. Would he command you to disbelieve after ye had surrendered (to Allah)?Aal-e-Imran - 3:79-80
- As to those who reject Faith and die rejecting-never would be accepted from any such as much gold as the earth contains, though they should offer it for ransom. For such is (in store) a penalty grievous and they will find no helpers.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:91
- Ah! ye are those who love them, but they love you not, though ye believe in the whole of the Book. When they meet you, they say "We believe"; but when they are alone, they bite off the very tips of their fingers at you in their rage. Say: "Perish in your rage; Allah knoweth well all the secrets of the heart."
Aal-e-Imran - 3:119
- Many were the Ways of Life that have passed away before you: travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who rejected Truth.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:137
- O ye who Believe! be not like the Unbelievers, who say of their brethren, when they are travelling through the earth or engaged in fighting: "If they had stayed with us, they would not have died, or been slain." This that Allah may make it a cause of sighs, and regrets in their hearts. It is Allah that gives Life and Death and Allah sees well all that ye do.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:156
- What ye suffered on the day the two armies met, was with the leave of Allah, in order that He might test the Believers.
And the Hypocrites also. They were told: "Come, fight in the way of Allah, or (at least) drive (the foe from your city)." They say: "Had we known there would be a fight, we should certainly have followed you. They were that day nearer to Unbelief than to Faith, saying with their lips what was not in their hearts. But Allah hath full knowledge of all they conceal.
(They are) the ones that say; (of their brethren slain) while they themselves sit (at ease): "If only they had listened to us, they would not have been slain." Say: "Avert death from your own selves, if ye speak the truth."
Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay they live finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord.Aal-e-Imran - 3:166-169
- Those who purchase unbelief at the price of faith, not the least harm will they do to Allah, but they will have a grievous punishment.
Let not the Unbelievers think that our respite to them is good for themselves: We grant them respite that they may grow in their iniquity: but they will have a shameful punishment.Aal-e-Imran - 3:177-178
- Let not the vicissitude (of the success) of those who disbelieve, in the land, deceive thee (O Muhammad).
It is but a brief comfort. And afterward their habitation will be hell, an ill abode.Aal-e-Imran - 3:196-197
- Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with him; but He forgiveth anything, else to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin most heinous indeed.
An-Nisa - 4:48
- Lo! those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers, and seek to make distinction between Allah and His messengers, and say: We believe in some and disbelieve in others, and seek to choose a way in between;
Such are disbelievers in truth; and for disbelievers We prepare a shameful doom.An-Nisa - 4:150-151
- Then because of their breaking of their covenant, and their disbelieving in the revelations of Allah, and their slaying of the prophets wrongfully, and their saying: Our hearts are hardened - Nay, but Allah set a seal upon them for their disbelief, so that they believe not save a few.
And because of their disbelief and of their speaking against Mary a tremendous calumny;
And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.
But Allah took him up unto Himself. Allah was ever Mighty, Wise.An-Nisa - 4:155-158
- In blasphemy indeed are those that say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary. Say: "Who then hath the least power against Allah, if His Will were to destroy Christ the son of Mary, his mother, and all, everyone that is on the earth? For to Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is between. He createth what He pleaseth. For Allah hath power over all things."
Al-Maeda - 5:17
- As to those who reject Faith, if they had everything on earth, and twice repeated, to give as ransom for the penalty of the Day of Judgment, it would never be accepted of them. Theirs would be a grievous penalty.
Al-Maeda - 5:36
- Say: Will ye worship, besides Allah, something which hath no power either to harm or benefit you? But Allah, He it is that heareth and knoweth all things."
Al-Maeda - 5:76
- And on the day We gather them together We shall say unto those who ascribed partners (unto Allah): Where are (now) those partners of your make-believe?
Then will they have no contention save that they will say: By Allah, our Lord, we never were idolaters.
See how they lie against themselves, and (how) the thing which they devised hath failed them!Al-Anaam - 6:22-24
- Those who reject Our Signs are deaf and dumb in the midst of darkness profound: whom Allah willeth He leaveth to wander; whom He willeth, He placeth on the way that is straight.
Al-Anaam - 6:39
- Yet they make the Jinns equals with Allah, though Allah did create the Jinns; and they falsely, having no knowledge attribute to Him sons and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!.
Al-Anaam - 6:100
- I shall turn away from My revelations those who magnify themselves wrongfully in the earth, and if they see each token believe it not, and if they see the way of righteousness choose it nor for (their) way, and if they see the way of error choose if for (their) way. That is because they deny Our revelations and are used to disregard them.
Al-Araf - 7:146
- Do they indeed ascribe to Him as partners things that can create nothing, but are themselves created?
No aid can they give them nor can they aid themselves!Al-Araf - 7:191-192
- The unbelievers spend their wealth to hinder (men) from the path of Allah and so will they continue to spend; but in the end they will have (only) regrets and sighs; at length they will be overcome: and the Unbelievers will be gathered together to Hell.
Al-Anfal - 8:36
- (Their way is) as the way of Pharaoh's folk and those before them; they denied the revelations of their Lord, so We destroyed them in their sins. And We drowned the folk of Pharaoh. All were evil-doers.
Al-Anfal - 8:54
- For the worst of beasts in the sight of Allah are those who reject Him: they will not believe.
Al-Anfal - 8:54
- The Jews call Uzayr a son of Allah and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouths; (in this) they but imitate what the Unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!
They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of Allah, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary; Yet they were commanded to worship but one Allah: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to him: (far is He) from having the parents they associate (with him).Al-Tawba - 9:30-31
- The Hypocrites, men and women, (have an understanding) with each other: they enjoin evil, and forbid what in just, and are close with their hands. They have forgotten Allah; so He hath forgotten them. Verily the Hypocrites are rebellious and perverse.
Al-Tawba - 9:67
- Allah hath promised the Hypocrites men and women, and the rejecters of Faith, the fire of Hell: therein shall they dwell: sufficient is it for them: for them is the curse of Allah and an enduring punishment
Al-Tawba - 9:68
- As in the case of those before you: they were mightier than you in power, and more flourishing in wealth and children. They had their enjoyment of their portion: and ye have of yours, as did those before you; and ye indulge in idle talk as they did. They! - their works are fruitless in this world and in the Hereafter and they will lose (all spiritual good).
Al-Tawba - 9:69
- The wandering Arabs are more hard in disbelief and hypocrisy, and more likely to be ignorant of the limits which Allah hath revealed unto His messenger. And Allah is Knower, Wise.
Al-Tawba - 9:97
- And there are those who put up a mosque by way of mischief and infidelity to disunite the Believers and in preparation for one who warred against Allah and His Messenger aforetime. They will indeed swear that their intention is nothing but good; but Allah doth declare that they are certainly liars.
Never stand thou forth therein. There is a mosque whose foundation was laid from the first day on piety; it is more worthy of thy standing forth (for prayer) therein. In it are men who love to be purified; and Allah loveth those who make themselves pure.
Which then is best? he that layeth his foundation on piety to Allah and His Good pleasure? or he that layeth his foundation on an undermined sand-cliff ready to crumble to pieces? And it doth crumble to pieces with him, into the fire of Hell. And Allah guideth not people that do wrong.Al-Tawba - 9:107-109
- They worship besides Allah that which neither hurteth them nor profiteth them, and they say: These are our intercessors with Allah. Say: Would ye inform Allah of (something) that He knoweth not in the heavens or in the earth? Praised be He and high exalted above all that ye associate (with Him)!
Yunus - 10:18
- Say: Is there of your partners (whom ye ascribe unto Allah) one that produceth Creation and then reproduceth it? Say: Allah produceth Creation, then reproduceth it. How then, are ye misled!
Say: Is there of your partners (whom ye ascribe unto Allah) one that leadeth to the Truth? Say: Allah leadeth to the Truth. Is He Who leadeth to the Truth more deserving that He should be followed, or he who findeth not the way unless he (himself) be guided. What aileth you? How judge ye?Yunus - 10:34-35
- They say "Allah hath begotten a son!" Glory be to Him! He is self-sufficient! His are all things in the heavens and on earth! No warrant have ye for this! Say ye about Allah what ye know not?
Yunus - 10:68
- "Nor call on any, other than Allah such will neither profit thee nor hurt thee: if thou dost behold! thou shalt certainly be of those who do wrong."
Yunus - 10:106
- Say to those who do not believe: "Do whatever ye can: we shall do our part;
"And wait ye! we too shall wait."Hud - 11:121-122
- And most of them believe not in Allah without associating (others as partners) with Him!
Do they then feel secure from the coming against them of the covering veil of the wrath of Allah - Or of the coming against them of the (final) Hour all of a sudden while they perceive not?Yusuf - 12:106-107
- If thou dost marvel (at their want of faith), strange is their saying: "When we are (actually) dust, shall we indeed then be in a creation renewed?" They are those who deny their Lord! They are those round whose necks will be yokes (of servitude): they will be Companions of the Fire, who dwell therein (for aye)!
They ask thee to hasten on the evil in preference to the good: yet have come to pass, before them, (many) exemplary punishments! But verily thy Lord is full of forgiveness for mankind for their wrongdoing: and verily thy Lord is (also) strict in punishment.Al-Rad - 13:5-6
- Unto Him is the real prayer. Those unto whom they pray beside Allah respond to them not at all, save as (is the response to) one who stretcheth forth his hands towards water (asking) that it may come unto his mouth, and it will never reach it. The prayer of disbelievers goeth (far) astray.
Al-Rad - 13:14
- Say: "Who is the Lord and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth?" Say: "(It is) Allah." Say: "Do ye then take (for worship) protectors other than Him, such as have no power either for good or for harm to themselves?" Say: "Are the blind equal with those who see? Or the depths of darkness equal with Light?" Or do they assign to Allah partners who have created (anything) as He has created, so that the creation seemed to them similar? Say: "Allah is the Creator of all things: He is the One, the Supreme and Irresistible."
Al-Rad - 13:16
- Has not the story reached you, (O people!) of those who (went) before you? of the people of Noah, and `Ad, and Thamud? and of those who (came) after them? None knows them but Allah. To them came messengers with Clear (Signs); but they put their hands up to their mouths, and said: "We do deny (the mission) on which ye have been sent, and we are really in suspicious (disquieting) doubt as to that to which ye invite us."
Their messengers said: "Is there a doubt about Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth? It is He Who invites you, in order that He may forgive you your sins and give you respite for a term appointed!" They said: "Ah! ye are no more than human like ourselves! Ye wish to turn us away from the (gods) our fathers used to worship: then bring us some clear authority."
Their messengers said to them: "True, we are human like yourselves, but Allah doth grant His grace to such of His servants as He pleases. It is not for us to bring you an authority except as Allah permits. And on Allah let all men of faith put their trust.
"No reason have we why we should not put our trust on Allah. Indeed He has guided us to the Ways we (follow). We shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us: for those who put their trust should put their trust on Allah."
And the Unbelievers said to their messengers: "Be sure we shall drive you out of our land, or ye shall return to our religion." But their Lord inspired (this Message) to them: "Verily We shall cause the wrongdoers to perish!
"And verily, We shall cause you to abide in the land, and succeed them. This for such as fear the time when they shall stand before My tribunal such as fear the punishment denounced."Ibrahim - 14:9-14
- A similitude of those who disbelieve in their Lord: Their works are as ashes which the wind bloweth hard upon a stormy day. They have no control of aught that they have earned. That is the extreme failure.
Ibrahim - 14:18
- Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven, and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein
They would only say: "Our eyes have been intoxicated: nay, we have been bewitched by sorcery."Al-Hijr - 15:14-15
- He hath created man from a drop of fluid, yet behold! he is an open opponent.
An-Nahl - 16:4
- Those whom they invoke besides Allah create nothing and are themselves created.
An-Nahl - 16:20
- And whatever of comfort ye enjoy, it is from Allah. Then, when misfortune reacheth you, unto Him ye cry for help.
And afterward, when He hath rid you of the misfortune, behold! a set of you attribute partners to their Lord
So as to deny that which We have given them. Then enjoy life (while ye may), for ye will come to know.An-Nahl - 16:53-55
- And We place upon their hearts veils lest they should understand it, and in their ears a deafness; and when thou makest mention of thy Lord alone in the Qur'an, they turn their backs in aversion.
We are best aware of what they wish to hear when they give ear to thee and when they take secret counsel, when the evil-doers say: Ye follow but a man bewitched.Al-Isra - 17:46-47
- Say: "Call on those besides Him whom ye fancy: they have neither the power to remove your troubles from you nor to change them."
Al-Isra - 17:56
- Further that He may warn those (also) who say "Allah hath begotten a son":
No knowledge have they of such a thing, nor had their fathers. It is a grievous thing that issues from their mouths as a saying. What they say is nothing but falsehood!Al-Kahf - 18:4-5
- Say: (It is) the truth from the Lord of you (all). Then whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers Fire. Its tent encloseth them. If they ask for showers, they will be showered with water like to molten lead which burneth the faces. Calamitous the drink and ill the resting-place!
Al-Kahf - 18:29
- And who doth more wrong than one who is reminded of the Signs of his Lord but turns away from them, forgetting the (deeds) which his hands have sent forth? Verily We have set veils over their hearts lest they should understand this, and over their ears, deafness. If thou callest them to guidance, even then will they never accept guidance.
Al-Kahf - 18:57
- Say: "Shall we tell you of those who lose most in respect of their deeds?
"Those whose efforts have been wasted in this life while they thought that they were acquiring good by their works?"
They are those who deny the Signs of their Lord and the fact of their having to meet Him (in the Hereafter): vain will be their works, nor shall We on the Day of Judgment, give them any Weight.
That is their reward, Hell; because they rejected Faith, and took My Signs and My Messengers by way of jest.Al-Kahf - 18:103-106
- And when Our clear revelations are recited unto them, those who disbelieve say unto those who believe: Which of the two parties (yours or ours) is better in position, and more imposing as an army?
How many a generation have We destroyed before them, who were more imposing in respect of gear and outward seeming!
Say: As for him who is in error, the Beneficent will verily prolong his span of life until, when they behold that which they were promised, whether it be punishment (in the world), or the Hour (of doom), they will know who is worse in position and who is weaker as an army.Maryam - 19:73-75
- They say: "(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten a son!"
Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous!
At it the skies are ready to burst, the earth to split asunder, and the mountains to fall down in utter ruin.
That they should invoke a son for (Allah) Most Gracious.
For it is not consonant with the majesty of (Allah) Most Gracious that He should beget a son.
Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to (Allah) Most Gracious as a servant.Maryam - 19:88-93
- Never comes (aught) to them of a renewed Message from their Lord, but they listen to it as in jest
Their hearts toying as with trifles. The wrongdoers conceal their private counsels, (saying) "Is this (one) more than a man like yourselves? Will ye go to witchcraft with your eyes open?"Al-Anbiya - 21:2-3
- Nay, say they, (these are but) muddled dreams; nay, he hath but invented it; nay, he is but a poet. Let him bring us a portent even as those of old (who were God's messengers) were sent (with portents).
Not a township believed of those which We destroyed before them (though We sent them portents): would they then believe?Al-Anbiya - 21:5-6
- And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves;
They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command.
He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him.
And one of them who should say: Lo! I am a God beside Him, that one We should repay with hell. Thus We Repay wrong-doers.Al-Anbiya - 21:26-29
- Messengers before thee, indeed, were mocked, but that whereat they mocked surrounded those who scoffed at them.
Al-Anbiya - 21:41
- And We verily gave Abraham of old his proper course, and We were Aware of him
When he said unto his father and his folk: What are these images unto which ye pay devotion?
They said: We found our fathers worshippers of them.
He said: Verily ye and your fathers were in plain error.
They said: Bringest thou unto us the truth, or art thou some jester?
He said: Nay, but your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, Who created them; and I am of those who testify unto that.Al-Anbiya - 21:51-56
- They call on such deities besides Allah, as can neither hurt nor profit them: that is straying far indeed (from the Way)!
(Perhaps) they call on one whose hurt is nearer than his profit: evil, indeed, is the patron, and evil the companion (for help)!Al-Hajj - 22:12-13
- Turning unto Allah (only), not ascribing partners unto Him; for whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, it is as if he had fallen from the sky and the birds had snatched him or the wind had blown him to a far-off place.
Al-Hajj - 22:31
- When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, thou wilt notice a denial on the faces of the Unbelievers! They nearly attack with violence those who rehearse Our Signs to them. Say "Shall I tell you of something (far) worse than these Signs? It is the Fire (of Hell)! Allah has promised it to the Unbelievers! And evil is that destination!"
Al-Hajj - 22:72
- O men! Here is a parable set forth! Listen to it! Those on whom besides Allah, ye call cannot create (even) a fly, if they all met together for the purpose! And if the fly should snatch away anything from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly: feeble are those who petition and those whom they petition!
Al-Hajj - 22:73
- And We verily sent Noah unto his folk, and he said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other god save Him. Will ye not ward off (evil)?
But the chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: This is only a mortal like you who would make himself superior to you. Had Allah willed, He surely could have sent down angels. We heard not of this in the case of our fathers of old.
He is only a man in whom is a madness, so watch him for a while.Al-Mumenoon - 23:23-25
- And We sent to them an messenger from among themselves, (saying) "Worship Allah! ye have no other god but Him. Will ye not fear (Him)?"
And the chiefs of his people, who disbelieved and denied the Meeting in the Hereafter, and on whom We had bestowed the good things of this life, said: "He is no more than a man like yourselves; he eats of that of which ye eat, and drinks of what ye drink.
"If ye obey a man like yourselves, behold it is certain ye will be lost.
"Does he promise that when ye die and become dust and bones, ye shall be brought forth (again)?
"Far, very far is that which ye are promised!
"There is nothing but our life in this world! We shall die and we live! But we shall never be raised up again!
"He is only a man who invents a lie against Allah, but we are not the ones to believe in him!"Al-Mumenoon - 23:32-38
- "My Signs used to be rehearsed to you but ye used to turn back on your heels
"In arrogance: talking nonsense about the (Qur'an), like one telling fables by night."Al-Mumenoon - 23:66-67
- Or do they say "He is possessed"? Nay he has brought them the Truth, but most of them hate the Truth.
If the Truth had been in accord with their desires, truly the heavens and the earth, and all beings therein would have been in confusion and corruption! Nay We have sent them their admonition, but they turn away from their admonition.Al-Mumenoon - 23:70-71
- They say: "What! when we die and become dust and bones, could we really be raised up again?
"Such things have been promised to us and to our fathers before! They are nothing but tales of the ancients!"Al-Mumenoon - 23:82-83
- Allah hath not chosen any son, nor is there any God along with Him; else would each God have assuredly championed that which he created, and some of them would assuredly have overcome others. Glorified be Allah above all that they allege.
Knower of the Invisible and the Visible! and Exalted be He over all that they ascribe as partners (unto Him)!Al-Mumenoon - 23:91-92
- As for those who disbelieve, their deeds are as a mirage in a desert. The thirsty one supposeth it to be water till he cometh unto it and findeth it naught, and findeth, in the place thereof, Allah Who payeth him his due; and Allah is swift at reckoning.
Or as darkness on a vast, abysmal sea. There covereth him a wave, above which is a wave, above which is a cloud. Layer upon layer of darkness. When he holdeth out his hand he scarce can see it. And he for whom Allah hath not appointed light, for him there is no light.Al-Noor - 24:39-40
- And they say: We believe in Allah and the messenger, and we obey; then after that a faction of them turn away. Such are not believers.
And when they appeal unto Allah and His messenger to judge between them, lo! a faction of them are averse;
But if right had been with them they would have come unto him willingly.
Is there in their hearts a disease, or have they doubts, or fear they lest Allah and His messenger should wrong them in judgment? Nay, but such are evil-doers.Al-Noor - 24:47-50
- He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: no son has He begotten, nor has He a partner in His dominion: it is He Who created all things and ordered them in due proportions.
Yet have they taken besides Him, gods that can create nothing but are themselves created; that have no control of hurt or good to themselves; nor can they control Death nor Life nor Resurrection.Al-Furqan - 25:2-3
- Nay, they deny the Hour (of the Judgment to come): but We have prepared a Blazing Fire for such as deny the Hour:
When it sees them from a place far off, they will hear its fury and its raging sigh.
And when they are cast, bound together, into a constricted place therein, they will plead for destruction there and then!
"This day plead not for a single destruction: plead for destruction oft-repeated!"Al-Furqan - 25:11-14
- And when they see thee (O Muhammad) they treat thee only as a jest (saying): Is this he whom Allah sendeth as a messenger?
He would have led us far away from our gods if we had not been staunch to them. They will know, when they behold the doom, who is more astray as to the road.Al-Furqan - 25:41-42
- As to those who believe not in the Hereafter, We have made their deeds pleasing in their eyes; and so they wander about in distraction.
Al-Naml - 27:4
- Then there are among men such as say "We believe in Allah"; but when they suffer affliction in (the cause of) Allah, they treat men's oppression as if it were the Wrath of Allah! and if help comes (to thee) from thy Lord they are sure to say "We have (always) been with you!" Does not Allah know best all that is in the hearts of all Creation?
And Allah most certainly knows those who believe, and as certainly those who are Hypocrites.Al-Ankaboot - 29:10-11
- And the Unbelievers say to those who believe: "Follow our path, and we will bear (the consequences) of your faults." Never in the least will they bear their faults: in fact they are liars!
They will bear their own burdens, and (other) burdens along with their own and on the Day of Judgement they will be called to account for their falsehoods.Al-Ankaboot - 29:12-13
- Those who disbelieve in the revelations of Allah and in (their) Meeting with Him, such have no hope of My mercy. For such there is a painful doom.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:23
- The likeness of those who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:41
- Verily We have coined for mankind in this Qur'an all kinds of similitudes; and indeed if thou camest unto them with a miracle, those who disbelieve would verily exclaim: Ye are but tricksters!
Thus doth Allah seal the hearts of those who know not.
So have patience (O Muhammad)! Allah's promise is the very truth, and let not those who have no certainty make thee impatient.Al-Room - 30:58-60
- And when Our revelations are recited unto him he turneth away in his pride as if he heard them not, as if there were a deafness in his ears. So give him tidings of a painful doom.
Luqman - 31:7
- Do ye not see that Allah has subjected to your (use) all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made His bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both) seen and unseen? Yet there are among men those who dispute about Allah without knowledge and without guidance, and without a Book to enlighten them!
Luqman - 31:20
- But if any reject Faith let not his rejection grieve thee: to Us is their return, and We shall tell them the truth of their deeds: for Allah knows well all that is in (men's) hearts.
We grant them their pleasure for a little while: in the end shall We drive them to a chastisement unrelenting.Luqman - 31:23-24
- And who does more wrong than one to whom are recited the Signs of his Lord, and who then turns away therefrom? Verily from those who transgress We shall exact (Due) Retribution.
As-Sajda - 32:22
- And obey not (the behests) of the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and heed not their annoyances, but put thy trust in Allah For enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
Al-Ahzab - 33:48
- Lo! Allah hath cursed the disbelievers, and hath prepared for them a flaming fire,
Wherein they will abide for ever. They will find (then) no protecting friend nor helper.
On the day when their faces are turned over in the Fire, they say: Oh, would that we had obeyed Allah and had obeyed His messenger!
And they say: Our Lord! Lo! we obeyed our princes and great men, and they misled us from the Way.
Our Lord! Oh, give them double torment and curse them with a mighty curse.Al-Ahzab - 33:64-68
- Never did We send a Warner to a population, but the wealthy ones among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which ye have been sent."
They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished."
Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the provision to whom He pleases but most men understand not."
It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work Righteousness - these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!Saba - 34:34-37
- When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them they say "This is only a man who wishes to hinder you from the (worship) which your fathers practised." And they say "This is only a falsehood invented!" And the Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to them "This is nothing but evident magic!"
Saba - 34:43
- Couldst thou but see when they are terrified with no escape, and are seized from near at hand,
And say: We (now) believe therein. But how can they reach (faith) from afar off,
When they disbelieved in it of yore. They aim at the unseen from afar off.
And a gulf is set between them and that which they desire, as was done for people of their kind of old. Lo! they were in hopeless doubt.Saba - 34:51-54
- When they are told "Fear ye that which is before you and that which will be after you, in order that ye may receive Mercy, " (they turn back).
Not a Sign comes to them from among the Signs of their Lord, but they turn away therefrom.Ya-Seen - 36:45-46
- And when it is said unto them: Spend of that wherewith Allah hath provided you, those who disbelieve say unto those who believe: Shall we feed those whom Allah, if He willed, would feed? Ye are in naught else than error manifest.
Ya-Seen - 36:47
- And they say: When will this promise be fulfilled, if ye are truthful?
They await but one Shout, which will surprise them while they are disputing.
Then they cannot make bequest, nor can they return to their own folk.Ya-Seen - 36:48-50
- And O ye in sin! get ye apart this Day!
"Did I not enjoin on you, O ye children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed?
"And that ye should worship Me, (for that) this was the Straight Way?
"But he did lead astray a great multitude of you. Did ye not then understand?
"This is the Hell of which ye were (repeatedly) warned!
"Embrace ye the (Fire) this Day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (Truth)."
That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to Us and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.
If it had been Our Will, We could surely have blotted out their eyes; then should they have run about groping for the Path, but how could they have seen?
And if it had been Our Will We could have transformed them (to remain) in their places: then should they have been unable to move about, nor could they have returned (after error).Ya-Seen - 36:59-67
- Hath not man seen that We have created him from a drop of seed? Yet lo! he is an open opponent.
And he hath coined for Us a similitude, and hath forgotten the fact of his creation, saying: Who will revive these bones when they have rotted away?
Say: He will revive them Who produced them at the first, for He is Knower of every creation,
Who hath appointed for you fire from the green tree, and behold! ye kindle from it.
Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the like of them? Aye, that He is! for He is the All-Wise Creator,
But His command, when He intendeth a thing, is only that he saith unto it: Be! and it is.
Therefor glory be to Him in Whose hand is the dominion over all things! Unto Him ye will be brought back.Ya-Seen - 36:77-83
- And, when they see a Sign, turn it to mockery,
And say "This is nothing but evident sorcery!
"What! when we die, and become dust and bones, shall we (then) be raised up (again)?
"And also our fathers of old?"
Say thou: "Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)."As-Saaffat - 37:14-18
- Nay, but those who disbelieve are in false pride and schism.
How many a generation We destroyed before them, and they cried out when it was no longer the time for escape!Suaad - 38:2-3
- So they wonder that a Warner has come to them from among themselves! And the Unbelievers say "This is a sorcerer telling lies!
"Has he made the gods (all) into one God? Truly this is a wonderful thing!"
And the leaders among them go away (impatiently), (saying) "Walk ye away, and remain constant to your gods! For this is truly a thing designed (against you)!
"We never heard (the like) of this among the people of these latter days: this is nothing but a made-up tale!
"What! Has the Message been sent to him - (of all persons) among us?" But they are in doubt concerning My (own) Message! Nay, they have not yet tasted My Punishment!
Or have they the Treasures of the Mercy of thy Lord - the Exalted in Power, the Grantor of Bounties without measure?
Or have they the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all between? If so, let them mount up with the ropes and means (to reach that end)!Suaad - 38:4-10
- Before them (were many who) rejected messengers, the People of Noah, and Ad, and Pharaoh, the Lord of Stakes.
And Thamud, and the People of Lut, and the Companions of the Wood; - such were the Confederates.
Not one (of them) but rejected the messengers, but My Punishment came justly and inevitably (on them).
These (to-day) only wait for a single mighty Blast, which (when it comes) will brook no delay.Suaad - 38:12-15
- The revelation of this Book is from Allah, the Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
Verily it is We Who have revealed the Book to thee in Truth: so serve Allah, offering Him sincere devotion.
Is it not to Allah that sincere devotion is due? But those who take for protectors other than Allah (say): "We only serve them in order that they may bring us nearer to Allah." Truly Allah will judge between them in that wherein they differ. But Allah guides not such as are false and ungrateful.Az-Zumar - 39:1-3
- Had Allah wished to take to Himself a son, He could have chosen whom He pleased out of those whom He doth create: but Glory be to Him! (He is above such things.) He is Allah, the One, the Irresistible.
Az-Zumar - 39:4
- And verily, if thou shouldst ask them: Who created the heavens and the earth? they will say: Allah. Say: Bethink you then of those ye worship beside Allah, if Allah willed some hurt for me, could they remove from me His hurt; or if He willed some mercy for me, could they restrain His mercy? Say: Allah is my all. In Him do (all) the trusting put their trust.
Az-Zumar - 39:38
- To Him belongs the keys of the heavens and the earth: and those who reject the Signs of Allah - it is they who will be in loss.
Az-Zumar - 39:63
- Say (O Muhammad, to the disbelievers): Do ye bid me serve other than Allah? O ye fools!
And verily it hath been revealed unto thee as unto those before thee (saying): If thou ascribe a partner to Allah thy work will fail and thou indeed wilt be among the losers.Az-Zumar - 39:64-65
- The folk of Noah and the factions after them denied (their messengers) before these, and every nation purposed to seize their messenger and argued falsely, (thinking) thereby to refute the Truth. Then I seized them, and how (awful) was My punishment.
Al-Momin - 40:5
- Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who disbelieved before them? They were mightier than these in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. Yet Allah seized them for their sins, and they had no protector from Allah.
That was because their messengers kept bringing them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) but they disbelieved; so Allah seized them. Lo! He is Strong, severe in punishment.Al-Momin - 40:21-22
- Of old We sent Moses with Our Signs and Authority manifest,
To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun; but they called (him) "a sorcerer telling lies!"...
Now, when he came to them in Truth, from Us, they said "Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and keep alive their females", but the plots of Unbelievers (end) in nothing but errors (and delusions)!"...
Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him Call on his Lord! What I fear is lest He should change your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to appear in the land!"Al-Momin - 40:23-26
- The Unbelievers say: "Listen not to this Qur'an, but talk at random in the midst of its (reading) that ye may gain the upper hand!"
Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:26
- To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment: He knows all): no date-fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb) nor bring forth (young), but by His Knowledge. The Day that (Allah) will propound to them the (question), "Where are the partners (ye attributed) to Me?" They will say "We do assure Thee not one of us can bear witness!"
Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:47
- But let those know, who dispute about Our Signs, that there is for them no way of escape.
Ash-Shura - 42:35
- Also, they say: "Why is not this Qur'an sent down to some leading man in either of the two (Chief) cities?"
Az-Zukhruf - 43:31
- Woe to each sinful dealer in Falsehoods:
He hears the Signs of Allah rehearsed to him, yet is obstinate and lofty, as if he had not heard them: then announce to him a Penalty Grievous!
And when he learns something of Our Signs, he takes them in jest: for such there will be a humiliating Penalty.Al-Jathiya - 45:7-9
- Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who were before them? Allah wiped them out. And for the disbelievers there will be the like thereof.
That is because Allah is patron of those who believe, and because the disbelievers have no patron.Muhammad - 47:10-11
- Those who reject Allah, hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and resist the Messenger, after Guidance has been clearly shown to them, will not injure Allah in the least, but He will make their deeds of no effect.
Muhammad - 47:32
- And that He may punish the Hypocrites men and women, and the Polytheists, men and women, who imagine an evil opinion of Allah. On them is a round of Evil: the Wrath of Allah is on them: He has cursed them and got Hell ready for them: and evil is it for a destination.
Al-Fath - 48:6
- The folk of Noah denied (the truth) before them, and (so did) the dwellers at Ar-Rass and (the tribe of) Thamud
And (the tribe of) A'ad, and Pharaoh, and the brethren of Lot
And the dwellers in the wood, and the folk of Tubb'a: every one denied their messengers, therefore My threat took effect.
Were We then worn out by the first creation? Yet they are in doubt about a new creation.Qaf - 50:12-15
- And his companion will say: "Here is (his Record) ready with me!"
(The sentence will be:) "Throw throw, into Hell every contumacious Rejector (of Allah)!
"Who forbade what was good, transgressed all bounds, cast doubts and suspicions;
"Who set up another god besides Allah: throw him into a severe Penalty."Qaf - 50:22-26
- On the day when the hypocritical men and the hypocritical women will say unto those who believe: Look on us that we may borrow from your light! it will be said: Go back and seek for light! Then there will separate them a wall wherein is a gate, the inner side whereof containeth mercy, while the outer side thereof is toward the doom.
They will cry unto them (saying): Were we not with you? They will say: verily; but ye tempted one another, and hesitated, and doubted, and vain desires beguiled you till the ordinance of Allah came to pass; and the deceiver deceived you concerning Allah;
So this day no ransom can be taken from you nor from those who disbelieved. Your home is the Fire; that is your patron, and a hapless journey's end.Al-Hadid - 57:13-15
- Hast thou not seen those who take for friends a folk with whom Allah is wroth? They are neither of you nor of them, and they swear a false oath knowingly.
Allah hath prepared for them a dreadful doom. Evil indeed is that which they are wont to do.
They make a shelter of their oaths and turn (men) from the way of Allah; so theirs will be a shameful doom.
Their wealth and their children will avail them naught against Allah. Such are rightful owners of the Fire; they will abide therein.
On the day when Allah will raise them all together, then will they swear unto Him as they (now) swear unto you, and they will fancy that they have some standing. Lo! is it not they who are the liars?
The devil hath engrossed them and so hath caused them to forget remembrance of Allah. They are the devil's party. Lo! is it not the devil's party who will be the losers?Al-Mujadila - 58:14-19
- Hast thou not observed the Hypocrites say to their misbelieving brethren among the People of the Book? "If ye are expelled, We too will go out with you and we will never hearken to anyone in your affair; and if ye are attacked (in fight), we will help you." But Allah is witness that they are indeed liars.
If they are expelled never will they go out with them; and if they are attacked (in fight), they will never help them; and if they do help them, they will turn their backs; so they will receive no help.
Of a truth ye are stronger (than they) because of the terror in their hearts (sent) by Allah. This is because they are men devoid of understanding.
They will not fight you (even) together, except in fortified townships, or from behind walls. Strong is their fighting (spirit) amongst themselves: thou wouldst think they were united, but their hearts are divided: that is because they are a people devoid of wisdom.Al-Hashr - 59:11-14
- When the Hypocrites come to thee, they say "We bear witness that thou art indeed the Messenger of Allah." Yea, Allah knoweth that thou art indeed His Messenger, and Allah beareth witness that the Hypocrites are indeed liars.
They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds): thus they obstruct (men) from the Path of Allah: truly evil are their deeds.
That is because they believed, then they rejected Faith: so a seal was set on their hearts: therefore they understand not.
When thou lookest at them, their exteriors please thee; and when they speak, thou listenest to their words. They are as (worthless as hollow) pieces of timber propped up, (unable to stand on their own). They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies; so beware of them. The curse of Allah be on them! How are they deluded (away from the Truth)!
And when it is said to them "Come, the Messenger of Allah will pray for your forgiveness", they turn aside their heads, and thou wouldst see them turning away their faces in arrogance.
It is equal to them whether thou pray for their forgiveness or not. Allah will not forgive them. Truly Allah guides not rebellious transgressors.Al-Munafiqoon - 63:1-6
- O Prophet! strive hard against the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell - an evil refuge (indeed).
At-Tahrim - 66:9
- He said: My Lord! Lo! I have called unto my people night and day
But all my calling doth but add to their repugnance;
And lo! whenever I call unto them that Thou mayst pardon them they thrust their fingers in their ears and cover themselves with their garments and persist (in their refusal) and magnify themselves in pride.
And lo! I have called unto them aloud
And lo! I have made public proclamation unto them, and I have appealed to them in private.Nooh - 71:5-9
- And bear with patience what they utter, and part from them with a fair leave-taking.
Leave Me to deal with the deniers, lords of ease and comfort (in this life); and do thou respite them awhile.Al-Muzzammil - 73:10-11
- Woe unto the repudiators on that day!
In what statement, after this, will they believe?Al-Mursalat - 77:49-50
- Woe to man! what hath made him reject Allah?
From what stuff Hath He created him?
From a sperm-drop: He hath created him, and then mouldeth him in due proportions;
Then, doth He make His path smooth for him;Abasa - 80:17-20
- Nay, but those who disbelieve live in denial
Al-Burooj - 85:19
- Hast thou observed him who belieth religion?
That is he who repelleth the orphan
And urgeth not the feeding of the needy
Ah, woe unto worshippers
Who are heedless of their prayer;
Who would be seen (at worship)
Yet refuse small kindnesses!Al-Maun - 107:1-7
- Say: O disbelievers!
I worship not that which ye worship;
Nor worship ye that which I worship
And I shall not worship that which ye worship
Nor will ye worship that which I worship
Unto you your religion, and unto me my religionAl-Kafiroon - 109:1-6