Excerpts from Quran: Prayer, Gratitude and Worship
- And cover not Truth with falsehood, nor conceal the Truth when ye know (what it is).
And be steadfast in prayer; give Zakat, and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship).Al-Baqara - 2:42-43
- Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded.
Al-Baqara - 2:45
- And remember Abraham and Ismail raised the foundations of the House (with this prayer): "Our Lord! accept (this service) from us; for thou art the All-Hearing the All-Knowing.
"Our Lord! Make of us Muslims bowing to Thy (Will) and of our progeny a people Muslim bowing to Thy (Will) and show us our places for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Relenting Most-Merciful.
"Our Lord! send amongst them a Messenger of their own who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom, and purify them; for Thou art the Exalted in Might the Wise."Al-Baqara - 2:127-129
- O ye who believe! fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you that ye may (learn) self-restraint.
Al-Baqara - 2:183
- Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an as a guide to mankind also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (between right and wrong). So everyone of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spent it in fasting, but if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you He does not want to put you to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.
Al-Baqara - 2:185
- When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them); I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me; let them also with a will listen to My call and believe in Me; that they may walk in the right way.
Al-Baqara - 2:186
- And there are men who say: "Our Lord! Give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter and save us from the torment of the fire!".
To these will be allotted what they have earned, and Allah is quick in account.Al-Baqara - 2:201-202
- Or do ye think that ye shall enter the Garden (of Bliss) without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They encountered suffering and adversity and were so shaken in spirit that even the Messenger and those of faith who were with him cried: "When (will come) the help of Allah?" Ah! verily the help of Allah is (always) near!
Al-Baqara - 2:214
- The Messenger believeth in what hath been revealed to him from his Lord, as do the men of faith. Each one (of them) believeth in Allah, His angels, His books, and His Messengers "We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His Messengers." And they say: "We hear and we obey; (We seek) Thy forgiveness, Our Lord, and to Thee is the end of all journeys."
On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray): "Our Lord! condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; help us against those who stand against faith."Al-Baqara - 2:285-286
- All that they said was: "Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist Faith."
Aal-e-Imran - 3:147
- Our Lord! Lo! we have heard a crier calling unto Faith: "Believe ye in your Lord!" So we believed. Our Lord! Therefor forgive us our sins, and remit from us our evil deeds, and make us die the death of the righteous.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:193
- Allah accepts the repentance of those who do evil, in ignorance and repent soon afterwards; to them, will Allah turn in mercy; for Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.
An-Nisa - 4:17
- Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds:
Al-Anaam - 6:162
- They said: "our Lord! we have wronged our own souls: if Thou forgive us not and bestow not upon us Thy Mercy we shall certainly be lost."
Al-Araf - 7:23
- And do thou (O reader!) bring thy Lord to remembrance in thy (very) soul, with humility and in reverence, without loudness in words, in the mornings and evenings; and be not thou of those who are unheedful.
Al-Araf - 7:205
- When trouble toucheth a man, he crieth unto Us (in all postures), lying down on his side, or sitting or standing. But when We have solved his trouble, he passeth on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! Thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes!
Yunus - 10:12
- They said: "In Allah do we put our trust. Our Lord! make us not a trial for those who practise oppression;
"And deliver us by Thy Mercy from those who reject (Thee)."Yunus - 10:85-86
- "Nor call on any, other than Allah such will neither profit thee nor hurt thee: if thou dost behold! thou shalt certainly be of those who do wrong."
Yunus - 10:106
- And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night: for those things that are good remove those that are evil: be that the word of remembrance to those who remember (their Lord):
Hud - 11:114
- Unto Him is the real prayer. Those unto whom they pray beside Allah respond to them not at all, save as (is the response to) one who stretcheth forth his hands towards water (asking) that it may come unto his mouth, and it will never reach it. The prayer of disbelievers goeth (far) astray.
Al-Rad - 13:14
- And unto Allah falleth prostrate whosoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, as do their shadows in the morning and the evening hours.
Al-Rad - 13:15
- "Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction.
"For those who believe and work righteousness, is (every) blessedness and a beautiful place of (final) return."Al-Rad - 13:28-29
- And when your Lord proclaimed: If ye give thanks, I will give you more; but if ye are thankless, lo! My punishment is dire.
Ibrahim - 14:7
- And He giveth you of all that ye ask for. But if ye count the favours of Allah never will ye be able to number them: verily, man is given up to injustice and ingratitude.
Ibrahim - 14:34
- Have they not observed all things that Allah hath created, how their shadows incline to the right and to the left, making prostration unto Allah, and they are lowly?
And unto Allah maketh prostration whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth of living creatures, and the angels (also) and they are not proud.
They fear their Lord above them, and do what they are bidden.An-Nahl - 16:48-50
- It is He Who brought you forth from the wombs of your mothers when ye knew nothing; and He gave you hearing and sight and intelligence and affections: that ye may give thanks (to Allah).
An-Nahl - 16:78
- Man prayeth for evil as he prayeth for good; for man was ever hasty.
Al-Isra - 17:11
- Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.
And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: "My Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."Al-Isra - 17:23-24
- The seven heavens and the earth and all that is therein praise Him, and there is not a thing but hymneth His praise; but ye understand not their praise. Lo! He is ever Clement, Forgiving.
Al-Isra - 17:44
- Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of night, and (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn. Lo! (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn is ever witnessed.
Al-Isra - 17:78
- Say: "Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman: by whatever name ye call upon Him (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names. Neither speak thy Prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between."
Al-Isra - 17:110
- (Moses) said: "O my Lord! Expand me my breast;"
"Ease my task for me;
"And remove the impediment from my speech.
"So they may understand what I say:Ta-Ha - 20:25-28
- And (remember) Job (Ayub), when he cried to his Lord "Truly distress has seized me But Thou art the Most Merciful of those that are merciful."
Al-Anbiya - 21:83
- Seest thou not that to Allah bow down in worship all things that are in the heavens and on earth, the sun, the moon, the stars; the hills, the trees the animals; and a great number among mankind? But a great number are (also) such as are fit for Punishment: and such as Allah shall disgrace none can rise to honour: for Allah carries out all that He wills.
Al-Hajj - 22:18
- The sacrificial camels we have made for you as among the Symbols from Allah: in them is (much) good for you: then pronounce the name of Allah over them as they line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat ye thereof, and feed such as (beg not but) live in contentment, and such as beg with due humility: thus have we made animals subject to you, that ye may be grateful.
It is not their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah: it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His guidance to you: and proclaim the Good News to all who do right.Al-Hajj - 22:36-37
- It is He Who has created for you (the faculties of) hearing, sight, feeling, and understanding: little thanks it is ye give!
Al-Mumenoon - 23:78
- And say: "O my Lord! I seek refuge with Thee from the suggestions of the Evil Ones;
"And I seek refuge with Thee O my Lord! lest they should come near me."Al-Mumenoon - 23:97-98
- So say: "O my Lord! grant Thou forgiveness and mercy! for Thou art the Best of those who show mercy!"
Al-Mumenoon - 23:118
- Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light. Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah setteth forth for mankind similitudes, for Allah is Knower of all things.
(This lamp is found) in houses which Allah hath allowed to be exalted and that His name shall be remembered therein. Therein do offer praise to Him at morn and evening.
Men whom neither merchandise nor sale beguileth from remembrance of Allah and constancy in prayer and paying to the poor their due; who fear a day when hearts and eyeballs will be overturned;Al-Noor - 24:35-37
- Seest thou not that it is Allah Whose praises all beings in the heavens and on earth do celebrate, and the birds (of the air) with wings outspread? Each one knows its own (mode of) prayer and praise. And Allah knows well all that they do.
Al-Noor - 24:41
- And (Solomon) smiled, laughing at her speech, and said: My Lord, arouse me to be thankful for Thy favour wherewith Thou hast favoured me and my parents, and to do good that shall be pleasing unto Thee, and include me in (the number of) Thy righteous slaves.
Al-Naml - 27:19
- Of His mercy hath He appointed for you night and day, that therein ye may rest, and that ye may seek His bounty, and that haply ye may be thankful.
Al-Qasas - 28:73
- Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish Regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:45
- We bestowed (in the past) wisdom on Luqman: "Show (thy) gratitude to Allah." Any who is (so) grateful does so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is ungrateful verily Allah is free of all wants, worthy of all praise.
Luqman - 31:12
- Only those believe in Our revelations who, when they are reminded of them, fall down prostrate and hymn the praise of their Lord, and they are not scornful,
Who forsake their beds to cry unto their Lord in fear and hope, and spend of that We have bestowed on them.As-Sajda - 32:15-16
- O ye who believe! Remember Allah with much remembrance.
And glorify Him early and late.
He it is Who blesseth you, and His angels (bless you), that He may bring you forth from darkness unto light; and He is Merciful to the believers.
Their salutation on the day when they shall meet Him will be: Peace. And He hath prepared for them a goodly recompense.Al-Ahzab - 33:41-44
- Lo! Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation.
Al-Ahzab - 33:56
- O mankind! Remember Allah's grace toward you! Is there any creator other than Allah who provideth for you from the sky and the earth? There is no God save Him. Whither then are ye turned?
Fatir - 35:3
- Lo! those who read the Scripture of Allah, and establish worship, and spend of that which We have bestowed on them secretly and openly, they look forward to imperishable gain,
That He will pay them their wages and increase them of His grace. Lo! He is Forgiving, Responsive.Fatir - 35:29-30
- A Sign for them is the earth that is dead; We do give it life, and produce grain therefrom, of which ye do eat.
And We produce therein orchards with date-palms and Vines, and We cause springs to gush forth therein.
That they may enjoy the fruits of this (artistry): it was not their hands that made this: will they not then give thanks?Ya-Seen - 36:33-35
- If ye are thankless, yet Allah is Independent of you, though He is not pleased with thanklessness for His bondmen; and if ye are thankful He is pleased therewith for you. No laden soul will bear another's load. Then unto your Lord is your return; and He will tell you what ye used to do. Lo! He knoweth what is in the breasts (of men).
Az-Zumar - 39:7
- When some trouble toucheth man he crieth unto his Lord, turning to Him in repentance: but when He bestoweth a favour upon him as from Himself, (man) doth forget what he cried and prayed for before, and he doth set up rivals unto Allah, thus misleading others from Allah's Path. Say "Enjoy thy blasphemy for a little while: verily thou art (one) of the Companions of the Fire!"
Az-Zumar - 39:8
- Is one who worships devoutly during the hours of the night prostrating himself or standing (in adoration), who takes heed of the Hereafter, and who places his hope in the Mercy of his Lord - (like one who does not)? Say: "Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that receive admonition."
Az-Zumar - 39:9
- Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
"Turn ye to your Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be helped.Az-Zumar - 39:53-54
- Patiently, then persevere: for the Promise of Allah is true: and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and celebrate the Praises of thy Lord in the evening and in the morning.
Al-Momin - 40:55
- And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (Prayer): But those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell in humiliation!"
Al-Momin - 40:60
- It is Allah Who has made the Night for you that ye may rest therein, and the Day, as that which helps (you) to see. Verily Allah is Full of Grace and Bounty to men: yet most men give no thanks.
Al-Momin - 40:61
- I have only created jinns and men, that they may serve Me.
No sustenance do I require of them nor do I require that they should feed Me.Adh-Dhariyat - 51:56-57
- Do ye then wonder at this recital?
And will ye laugh and not weep
Wasting your time in vanities?
But fall ye down in prostration to Allah and adore (Him)!An-Najm - 53:59-62
- As grace from Us. Thus We reward him who giveth thanks.
Al-Qamar - 54:35
- And the herbs and the trees-both (alike) bow in adoration.
Ar-Rahman - 55:6
- Of Him seeks (its needs) every creature in the heavens and on earth: every day in (new) Splendour doth He (shine)!
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?Ar-Rahman - 55:29-30
- All that is in the heavens and the earth glorifieth Allah; and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
Al-Hadid - 57:1
- There is a goodly pattern for you in Abraham and those with him, when they told their folk: Lo! we are guiltless of you and all that ye worship beside Allah. We have done with you. And there hath arisen between us and you hostility and hate for ever until ye believe in Allah only - save that which Abraham promised his father (when he said): I will ask forgiveness for thee, though I own nothing for thee from Allah - Our Lord! In Thee we put our trust, and unto Thee we turn repentant, and unto Thee is the journeying.
Our Lord! Make us not a prey for those who disbelieve, and forgive us, our Lord! Lo! Thou, only Thou, are the Mighty, the Wise.Al-Mumtahina - 60:4-5
- O ye who believe! when the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business (and traffic): that is best for you if ye but knew!
And when the Prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and seek of the Bounty of Allah: and celebrate the Praises of Allah often (and without stint): that ye may prosper.
But when they see some bargain or some amusement, they disperse headlong to it, and leave thee standing. Say: "The (blessing) from the Presence of Allah is better than any amusement or bargain! And Allah is the Best to provide (for all needs)."Al-Jumua - 62:9-11
- O ye who believe! Turn unto Allah in sincere repentance! It may be that your Lord will remit from you your evil deeds and bring you into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, on the day when Allah will not abase the Prophet and those who believe with him. Their light will run before them and on their right hands; they will say: Our Lord! Perfect our light for us, and forgive us! Lo! Thou art Able to do all things.
At-Tahrim - 66:8
- And I have said: Seek pardon of your Lord. Lo! He was ever Forgiving.
He will let loose the sky for you in plenteous rain
And will help you with wealth and sons, and will assign unto you Gardens and will assign unto you rivers.Nooh - 71:10-12
- Truly the rising by night is most potent for governing (the soul), and most suitable for (framing) the Word (of Prayer and Praise).
Al-Muzzammil - 73:6
- Therefore be patient with constancy to the Command of thy Lord, and hearken not to the sinner or the ingrate among them.
And celebrate the name of thy Lord morning and evening
And part of the night, prostrate thyself to Him; and glorify Him a long night through.Ad-Dahar / Al-Insan - 76:24-26
- But those will prosper who purifies themselves
And glorify the name of their Guardian-Lord, and (lift their hearts) in PrayerAl-Ala - 87:14-15
- Lo! We revealed it on the Night of Power.
Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Night of Power is!
The Night of Power is better than a thousand months
The angels and the Spirit descend therein, by the permission of their Lord, with all decrees
(The night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn.Al-Qadr - 97:1-5
- Lo! We have given thee Abundance;
So pray unto thy Lord, and sacrificeAl-Kauther - 108:1-2
- When Allah's succour and the triumph cometh
And thou seest mankind entering the religion of Allah in troops
Then hymn the praises of thy Lord, and seek forgiveness of Him. Lo! He is ever ready to show mercyAn-Nasr - 110:1-3
- Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of the Daybreak
From the evil of that which He created;
From the evil of the darkness when it is intense
And from the evil of malignant witchcraft
And from the evil of the envier when he enviethAl-Falaq - 113:1-5
- Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind
The King of mankind
The God of mankind
From the evil of the sneaking whisperer
Who whispereth in the hearts of mankind
Of the jinn and of mankindAn-Naas - 114:1-6