Excerpts from Quran: The Prophets
- And (remember) when his Lord tried Abraham with (His) commands, and he fulfilled them, He said: Lo! I have appointed thee a leader for mankind. (Abraham) said: And of my offspring (will there be leaders)? He said: My covenant includeth not wrong-doers.
Al-Baqara - 2:124
- And remember Abraham and Ismail raised the foundations of the House (with this prayer): "Our Lord! accept (this service) from us; for thou art the All-Hearing the All-Knowing.
"Our Lord! Make of us Muslims bowing to Thy (Will) and of our progeny a people Muslim bowing to Thy (Will) and show us our places for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Relenting Most-Merciful.
"Our Lord! send amongst them a Messenger of their own who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom, and purify them; for Thou art the Exalted in Might the Wise."Al-Baqara - 2:127-129
- Behold! His Lord said to him: "Submit (thy will to Me)" He said: "I bow (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the universe."
And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons and so did Jacob; "O my sons! Allah hath chosen the faith for you; then die not except in the state of submission (to Allah)."Al-Baqara - 2:131-132
- Say ye: "We believe, in Allah and the revelation given to us and to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes and that given to Moses and Jesus and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord we make no difference between one and another of them and we bow to Allah (in Islam)." So if they believe as ye believe they are indeed on the right path; but if they turn back, it is they who are in schism; but Allah will suffice thee as against them, and He is the All-Hearing the All- Knowing.
Al-Baqara - 2:136-137
- Say: Will ye dispute with us about Allah, seeing that He is our Lord and your Lord; that we are responsible for our doings and ye for yours; and that we are sincere (in our faith) in Him?
Or do ye say that Abraham Ismail Isaac Jacob and the Tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Do ye know better than Allah? Ah! who is more unjust than those who conceal the testimony they have from Allah? But Allah is not unmindful of what ye do!
That was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did and ye of what ye do! Of their merits there is no question in your case.Al-Baqara - 2:139-141
- Those messengers We endowed with gifts some above others: to one of them Allah spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. If Allah had so willed, succeeding generations would not have fought among each other, after clear (Signs) had come to them, but they (chose) to wrangle, some believing and others rejecting. If Allah had so willed they would not have fought each other; but Allah fulfilleth His plan.
Al-Baqara - 2:253
- Hast thou not turned thy thought to one who disputed with Abraham about his Lord because Allah had granted him power? Abraham said: "My Lord is He Who giveth life and death." He said: "I give life and death." Said Abraham: "But it is Allah that causeth the sun to rise from the East: do thou then cause him to rise from the West?" Thus was he confounded who (in arrogance) rejected faith. Nor doth Allah give guidance to a people unjust.
Al-Baqara - 2:258
- Allah did choose Adam and Noah the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran above all people.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:33
- And when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah hath chosen thee and made thee pure, and hath preferred thee above (all) the women of creation.
O Mary! Be obedient to thy Lord, prostrate thyself and bow with those who bow (in worship).Aal-e-Imran - 3:42-43
- (And remember) when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah).
He will speak unto mankind in his cradle and in his manhood, and he is of the righteous.
She said: My Lord! How can I have a child when no mortal hath touched me? He said: So (it will be). Allah createth what He will. If He decreeth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is.
And He will teach him the Scripture and wisdom, and the Torah and the Gospel,
And will make him a messenger unto the Children of Israel, (saying): Lo! I come unto you with a sign from your Lord. Lo! I fashion for you out of clay the likeness of a bird, and I breathe into it and it is a bird, by Allah's leave. I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I raise the dead, by Allah's leave. And I announce unto you what ye eat and what ye store up in your houses. Lo! herein verily is a portent for you, if ye are to be believers.
And (I come) confirming that which was before me of the Torah, and to make lawful some of that which was forbidden unto you. I come unto you with a sign from your Lord, so keep your duty to Allah and obey me.Aal-e-Imran - 3:45-50
- This similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam: He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be" and he was.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:59
- Abraham was not a Jew, nor yet a Christian; but he was an upright man who had surrendered (to Allah), and he was not of the idolaters.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:67
- It is not (possible) for any human being unto whom Allah had given the Scripture and wisdom and the prophethood that he should afterwards have said unto mankind: Be slaves of me instead of Allah; but (what he said was): Be ye faithful servants of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching of the Scripture and of your constant study thereof.
And he commanded you not that ye should take the angels and the prophets for lords. Would he command you to disbelieve after ye had surrendered (to Allah)?Aal-e-Imran - 3:79-80
- Muhammad is no more than a Messenger: many were the Messengers that passed away before Him. If he died or was slain, will ye then turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allah; but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve him) with gratitude.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:144
- Then if they reject thee, so were rejected messengers before thee, who came with clear Signs, and the Scriptures, and the Book of Enlightenment.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:184
- He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah: but if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over their (evil deeds).
An-Nisa - 4:80
- Then because of their breaking of their covenant, and their disbelieving in the revelations of Allah, and their slaying of the prophets wrongfully, and their saying: Our hearts are hardened - Nay, but Allah set a seal upon them for their disbelief, so that they believe not save a few.
And because of their disbelief and of their speaking against Mary a tremendous calumny;
And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.
But Allah took him up unto Himself. Allah was ever Mighty, Wise.An-Nisa - 4:155-158
- O people of the Book! commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of Allah aught but truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an Messenger of Allah and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not "Trinity": desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is One Allah: glory be to him: (for Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
An-Nisa - 4:171
- And when Allah saith: O Jesus, son of Mary! Didst thou say unto mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah? he saith: Be glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right. If I had ever said it, then Thou wouldst have known it. Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Thy Mind. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower of Things Hidden?
I spake unto them only that which Thou commandedst me, (saying): Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. I was a witness of them while I dwelt among them, and when Thou tookest me Thou wast the Watcher over them. Thou art Witness over all things.Al-Maeda - 5:116-117
- They say: "Why is not an angel sent down to him?" If We did send down an angel, the matter would be settled at once, and no respite would be granted them.
Al-Anaam - 6:8
- We know indeed the grief which their words do cause thee: it is not thee they reject: it is the Signs of Allah, which the wicked contemn.
Rejected were the Messegers before thee: with patience and constancy they bore their rejection and their wrongs until Our aid did reach them: there is none that can alter the Words (and Decrees) of Allah. Already hast thou received some account of those Messengers.Al-Anaam - 6:33-34
- We send the Messengers only to give good news and to warn: so those who believe and mend (their lives), upon them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Al-Anaam - 6:48
- And unto Midian (We sent) their brother, Shu'eyb. He said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other God save Him. Lo! a clear proof hath come unto you from your Lord; so give full measure and full weight and wrong not mankind in their goods, and work not confusion in the earth after the fair ordering thereof. That will be better for you, if ye are believers.
Al-Araf - 7:85
- And when Moses came to Our appointed tryst and his Lord had spoken unto him, he said: My Lord! Show me (Thy Self), that I may gaze upon Thee. He said: Thou wilt not see Me, but gaze upon the mountain! If it stand still in its place, then thou wilt see Me. And when his Lord revealed (His) glory to the mountain He sent it crashing down. And Moses fell down senseless. And when he woke he said: Glory unto Thee! I turn unto Thee repentant, and I am the first of (true) believers.
He said: O Moses! I have preferred thee above mankind by My messages and by My speaking (unto thee). So hold that which I have given thee, and be among the thankful.Al-Araf - 7:143-144
- Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them. He will enjoin on them that which is right and forbid them that which is wrong. He will make lawful for them all good things and prohibit for them only the foul; and he will relieve them of their burden and the fetters that they used to wear. Then those who believe in him, and honour him, and help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him: they are the successful.
Al-Araf - 7:157
- And Abraham prayed for his father's forgiveness only because of a promise he had made to him. But when it became clear to him that he was an enemy to Allah, he dissociated himself from him: for Abraham was most tender-hearted forbearing.
Al-Tawba - 9:114
- We destroyed the generations before you when they did wrong; and their messengers (from Allah) came unto them with clear proofs (of His Sovereignty) but they would not believe. Thus do We reward the guilty folk.
Yunus - 10:13
- If they charge thee with falsehood, say: "My work to me, and yours to you! Ye are free from responsibility for what I do, and I for what ye do!"
Yunus - 10:41
- But none believed in Moses except some children of his People, because of the fear of Pharaoh and his chiefs, lest they should persecute them; and certainly Pharaoh was mighty on the earth and one who transgressed all bounds.
Yunus - 10:83
- Moses prayed: "Our Lord! Thou hast indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his Chiefs splendour and wealth in the life of the Present, and so, our Lord they mislead (men) from Thy Path. Deface, our Lord the features of their wealth, and send hardness to their hearts, so they will not believe until they see the grievous Penalty."
Yunus - 10:88
- We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)."
(It was said to him): "Ah now! but a little while before, wast thou in rebellion! and thou didst mischief (and violence)!
"This day shall We save thee in thy body, that thou mayest be a Sign to those who come after thee! But verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"Yunus - 10:90-92
- We sent Noah to his people (with a mission): "I have come to you with a Clear Warning:
"That ye serve none but Allah: verily I do fear for you the Punishment of a Grievous Day."
But the Chiefs of the Unbelievers among his people said: "We see (in) thee nothing but a man like ourselves: nor do we see that any follow thee but the meanest among us, in judgment immature: nor do we see in you (all) any merit above us: in fact we think ye are liars!Hud - 11:25-27
- They said: O Noah! Thou hast disputed with us and multiplied disputation with us; now bring upon us that wherewith thou threatenest us, if thou art of the truthful.
He said: Only Allah will bring it upon you if He will, and ye can by no means escape.
My counsel will not profit you if I were minded to advise you, if Allah's will is to keep you astray. He is your Lord and unto Him ye will be brought back.Hud - 11:32-34
- And Noah called upon his Lord and said: "O my Lord! surely my son is of my family! and Thy promise is true and Thou art the Justest of Judges!"
He said: "O Noah! he is not of thy family: for his conduct is unrighteous. So ask not of Me that of which thou hast no knowledge! I give thee counsel, lest thou become one of the ignorant!"Hud - 11:45-46
- They said: "O Shuayb! Much of what thou sayest we do not understand! In fact among us we see that thou hast no strength! Were it not for thy family, we should certainly have stoned thee! For thou hast among us no great position!"
He said: "O my people! is then my family of more consideration with you than Allah? For ye cast Him away behind your backs (with contempt). But verily my Lord encompasseth on all sides all that ye do!Hud - 11:91-92
- When Our decree issued, We saved Shuaib and those who believed with him, by (special) Mercy from Ourselves: but the (mighty) Blast did seize the wrongdoers, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the morning
As if they had never dwelt and flourished there! Ah! behold! How the Madyan were removed (from sight) as were removed the Thamud!Hud - 11:94-95
- Till, when the messengers despaired and thought that they were denied, then came unto them Our help, and whom We would was saved. And Our wrath cannot be warded from the guilty.
Yusuf - 12:110
- And verily messengers (of Allah) were mocked before thee, but long I bore with those who disbelieved. At length I seized them, and how (awful) was My punishment!
Al-Rad - 13:32
- Whether We let thee see something of that which We have promised them, or make thee die (before its happening), thine is but conveyance (of the message). Ours the reckoning.
Al-Rad - 13:40
- Has not the story reached you, (O people!) of those who (went) before you? of the people of Noah, and `Ad, and Thamud? and of those who (came) after them? None knows them but Allah. To them came messengers with Clear (Signs); but they put their hands up to their mouths, and said: "We do deny (the mission) on which ye have been sent, and we are really in suspicious (disquieting) doubt as to that to which ye invite us."
Their messengers said: "Is there a doubt about Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth? It is He Who invites you, in order that He may forgive you your sins and give you respite for a term appointed!" They said: "Ah! ye are no more than human like ourselves! Ye wish to turn us away from the (gods) our fathers used to worship: then bring us some clear authority."
Their messengers said to them: "True, we are human like yourselves, but Allah doth grant His grace to such of His servants as He pleases. It is not for us to bring you an authority except as Allah permits. And on Allah let all men of faith put their trust.
"No reason have we why we should not put our trust on Allah. Indeed He has guided us to the Ways we (follow). We shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us: for those who put their trust should put their trust on Allah."
And the Unbelievers said to their messengers: "Be sure we shall drive you out of our land, or ye shall return to our religion." But their Lord inspired (this Message) to them: "Verily We shall cause the wrongdoers to perish!
"And verily, We shall cause you to abide in the land, and succeed them. This for such as fear the time when they shall stand before My tribunal such as fear the punishment denounced."Ibrahim - 14:9-14
- And never came there unto them a messenger but they did mock him.
Al-Hijr - 15:11
- For We assuredly sent amongst every People a messenger, (with the Command) "Serve Allah, and eschew Evil": of the people were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom Error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth).
An-Nahl - 16:36
- Glory to (Allah) Who did take His Servant for Journey by night from the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque whose precincts We did bless in order that We might show him some of Our Signs: for He is the one Who heareth and seeth (all things).
Al-Isra - 17:1
- We gave unto Moses the Scripture, and We appointed it a guidance for the children of Israel, saying: Choose no guardian beside Me.
Al-Isra - 17:2
- And it is your Lord that knoweth best all beings that are in the heavens and on earth: We did bestow on some Prophets more (and other) gifts than on others: and We gave to David (the gift of) the Psalms.
Al-Isra - 17:55
- And their purpose was to tempt thee away from that which We had revealed unto thee, to substitute in Our name something quite different: (in that case), behold! they would certainly have made thee (their) friend!
And had We not given thee strength, thou wouldst nearly have inclined to them a little.
In that case We should have made thee taste an equal portion (of punishment) in this life, and an equal portion in death: and moreover thou wouldst have found none to help thee against Us!
Their purpose was to scare thee off the land, in order to expel thee; but in that case they would not have stayed (therein) after thee except for a little while.
(This was Our) way with the messengers We sent before thee: thou wilt find no change in Our ways.Al-Isra - 17:73-77
- And naught prevented mankind from believing when the guidance came unto them save that they said: Hath Allah sent a mortal as (His) messenger?
Say: If there were in the earth angels walking secure, We had sent down for them from heaven an angel as messenger.Al-Isra - 17:94-95
- We sent down the (Qur'an) in Truth, and in Truth has it descended: and We sent thee but to give Glad Tidings and to warn (sinners).
Al-Isra - 17:105
- We send not the messengers save as bearers of good news and warners. Those who disbelieve contend with falsehood in order to refute the Truth thereby. And they take Our revelations and that wherewith they are threatened as a jest.
Al-Kahf - 18:56
- (To his son came the command): "O Yahya! Take hold of the Book with might": and We gave him wisdom even as a youth.
And pity (for all creatures) as from Us, and purity: he was devout
And kind to his parents, and he was not overbearing or rebellious.
So Peace on him the day he was born, the day that he dies, and the day that he will be raised up to life (again)!Maryam - 19:12-15
- Also mention in the Book (the story of) Abraham: he was a man of Truth, a prophet.
Behold, he said to his father: "O my father! why worship that which heareth not and seeth not, and can profit thee nothing?
"O my father! To me hath come knowledge which hath not reached thee: so follow me: I will guide thee to a Way that is even and straight.
"O my father! serve not Satan: for Satan is a rebel against (Allah) Most Gracious.
"O my father! I fear lest a Penalty afflict thee from (Allah) Most Gracious, so that thou become to Satan a friend."
(The father) replied: "Dost thou hate my gods, O Abraham? If thou forbear not, I will indeed stone thee: now get away from me for a good long while!"
Abraham said: "Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for thy forgiveness: for He is to me Most Gracious.
"And I will turn away from you (all) and from those whom ye invoke besides Allah: I will call on my Lord: Perhaps, by my prayer to my Lord, I shall be not unblest."
When he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped besides Allah, We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and each one of them We made a prophet.Maryam - 19:41-49
- (When this message was delivered), (Pharaoh) said: "Who then, O Moses, is the Lord of you two?"
He said: "Our Lord is He Who gave to each (created) thing its form and nature, and further gave (it) guidance."Ta-Ha - 20:49-50
- But Satan whispered evil to him: he said "O Adam! shall I lead thee to Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that never decays?"
In the result, they both ate of the tree, and so their nakedness appeared to them: they began to sew together, for their covering, leaves from the Garden: thus did Adam disobey his Lord, and allow himself to be seduced.
But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him, and gave him guidance.
He said: "Get ye down both of you all together from the Garden, with enmity one to another; but if, as is sure there comes to you guidance from Me, whosoever follows My guidance, will not lose his way nor fall into misery.Ta-Ha - 20:120-123
- Nay, say they, (these are but) muddled dreams; nay, he hath but invented it; nay, he is but a poet. Let him bring us a portent even as those of old (who were God's messengers) were sent (with portents).
Not a township believed of those which We destroyed before them (though We sent them portents): would they then believe?Al-Anbiya - 21:5-6
- Before thee, also the messengers we sent were but men, to whom We granted inspiration: if ye know this not, ask of those who possess the Message.
Nor did We give them bodies that ate no food, nor were they exempt from death.Al-Anbiya - 21:7-8
- And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves;
They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command.
He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him.
And one of them who should say: Lo! I am a God beside Him, that one We should repay with hell. Thus We Repay wrong-doers.Al-Anbiya - 21:26-29
- And when those who disbelieve behold thee, they but choose thee out for mockery, (saying): Is this he who maketh mention of your gods? And they would deny all mention of the Beneficent.
Al-Anbiya - 21:36
- Messengers before thee, indeed, were mocked, but that whereat they mocked surrounded those who scoffed at them.
Al-Anbiya - 21:41
- And We verily gave Abraham of old his proper course, and We were Aware of him
When he said unto his father and his folk: What are these images unto which ye pay devotion?
They said: We found our fathers worshippers of them.
He said: Verily ye and your fathers were in plain error.
They said: Bringest thou unto us the truth, or art thou some jester?
He said: Nay, but your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, Who created them; and I am of those who testify unto that.Al-Anbiya - 21:51-56
- We said "O Fire! Be thou cool, and (a means of) safety for Abraham!"
Then they sought a stratagem against him: but We made them the ones that lost most!Al-Anbiya - 21:69-70
- And unto Solomon (We subdued) the wind in its raging. It set by His command toward the land which We had blessed. And of everything We are aware.
And of the evil ones (subdued We unto him) some who dived (for pearls) for him and did other work, and We were warders unto them.Al-Anbiya - 21:81-82
- And (remember) Job (Ayub), when he cried to his Lord "Truly distress has seized me But Thou art the Most Merciful of those that are merciful."
Al-Anbiya - 21:83
- We sent thee not, but as a mercy for all creatures.
Al-Anbiya - 21:107
- And We verily sent Noah unto his folk, and he said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other god save Him. Will ye not ward off (evil)?
But the chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: This is only a mortal like you who would make himself superior to you. Had Allah willed, He surely could have sent down angels. We heard not of this in the case of our fathers of old.
He is only a man in whom is a madness, so watch him for a while.Al-Mumenoon - 23:23-25
- And We sent to them an messenger from among themselves, (saying) "Worship Allah! ye have no other god but Him. Will ye not fear (Him)?"
And the chiefs of his people, who disbelieved and denied the Meeting in the Hereafter, and on whom We had bestowed the good things of this life, said: "He is no more than a man like yourselves; he eats of that of which ye eat, and drinks of what ye drink.
"If ye obey a man like yourselves, behold it is certain ye will be lost.
"Does he promise that when ye die and become dust and bones, ye shall be brought forth (again)?
"Far, very far is that which ye are promised!
"There is nothing but our life in this world! We shall die and we live! But we shall never be raised up again!
"He is only a man who invents a lie against Allah, but we are not the ones to believe in him!"Al-Mumenoon - 23:32-38
- And they say: What aileth this messenger (of Allah) that he eateth food and walketh in the markets? Why is not an angel sent down unto him, to be a warner with him.
Or (why is not) treasure thrown down unto him, or why hath he not a paradise from whence to eat? And the evil-doers say: Ye are but following a man bewitched.Al-Furqan - 25:7-8
- Thus have We made for every prophet an enemy among the sinners: but enough is thy Lord to guide and to help.
Al-Furqan - 25:31
- And when they see thee (O Muhammad) they treat thee only as a jest (saying): Is this he whom Allah sendeth as a messenger?
He would have led us far away from our gods if we had not been staunch to them. They will know, when they behold the doom, who is more astray as to the road.Al-Furqan - 25:41-42
- And We have sent thee (O Muhammad) only as a bearer of good tidings and a warner.
Say: I ask of you no reward for this, save that whoso will may choose a way unto his Lord.
And trust thou in the Living One Who dieth not, and hymn His praise. He sufficeth as the Knower of His bondmen's sins,Al-Furqan - 25:56-58
- He said: "Do ye then see whom ye have been worshipping
"Ye and your fathers before you?
"For they are enemies to me; not so the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds;
"Who created me, and it is He Who guides me;
"Who gives me food and drink
"And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me;
"Who will cause me to die, and then to live (again);
"And Who, I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of Judgment
O my Lord! Bestow wisdom on me, and join me with the righteous;
"Grant me honourable mention on the tongue of truth among the latest (generations);
"Make me one of the inheritors of the Garden of Bliss;
"Forgive my father, for that he is among those astray;
"And let me not be in disgrace on the Day when (men) will be raised up
The Day whereon neither wealth nor sons will avail
"But only he (will prosper) that brings to Allah a sound heart;Al-Shuara - 26:75-89
- (The tribe of) A'ad denied the messengers (of Allah).
When their brother Hud said unto them: Will ye not ward off (evil)?
Lo! I am a faithful messenger unto you
So keep your duty to Allah and obey me.
And I ask of you no wage therefor; my wage is the concern only of the Lord of the Worlds.
Build ye on every high place a monument for vain delight?
And seek ye out strongholds, that haply ye may last for ever?
And if ye seize by force, seize ye as tyrants?
Rather keep your duty to Allah, and obey me.
Keep your duty toward Him Who hath aided you with (the good things) that ye know
Hath aided you with cattle and sons.
And gardens and watersprings.
Lo! I fear for you the retribution of an awful day.
They said: It is all one to us whether thou preachest or art not of those who preach;
This is but a fable of the men of old
And we shall not be doomed.
And they denied him; therefor We destroyed them. Lo! herein is indeed a portent, yet most of them are not believers.
And lo! thy Lord, He is indeed the Mighty, the Merciful.Al-Shuara - 26:123-140
- And Pharaoh said: O chiefs! I know not that ye have a god other than me, so kindle for me (a fire), O Haman, to bake the mud; and set up for me a lofty tower in order that I may survey the God of Moses; and lo! I deem him of the liars.
Al-Qasas - 28:38
- Qarun was doubtless, of the people of Moses; but he acted insolently towards them: such were the treasures We had bestowed on him, that their very keys would have been a burden to a body of strong men: behold, his people said to him: "Exult not, for Allah loveth not those who exult (in riches).
"But seek, with the (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on thee, the Home of the Hereafter, nor forget thy portion in this world: but do thou good, as Allah has been good to thee, and seek not (occasions for) mischief in the land: for Allah loves not those who do mischief."
He said: "This has been given to me because of a certain knowledge which I have." Did he not know that Allah had destroyed, before him (whole) generations - which were superior to him in strength and greater in amount (of riches) they had collected? But the wicked are not called (immediately) to account for their sins.Al-Qasas - 28:76-78
- And verily we sent Noah (as Our messenger) unto his folk, and he continued with them for a thousand years save fifty years; and the flood engulfed them, for they were wrong-doers.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:14
- And when Our Messengers came to Lut, he was grieved on their account, and felt himself powerless (to protect) them: but they said "Fear thou not nor grieve: we are (here) to save thee and thy following, except thy wife: she is of those who lag behind.
"For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they have been wickedly rebellious."
And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any people who (care to) understand.Al-Ankaboot - 29:33-35
- And unto Midian We sent Shu'eyb, their brother. He said: O my people! Serve Allah, and look forward to the Last Day, and do not evil, making mischief, in the earth.
But they denied him, and the dreadful earthquake took them, and morning found them prostrate in their dwelling place.Al-Ankaboot - 29:36-37
- And thou (O Muhammad) wast not a reader of any scripture before it, nor didst thou write it with thy right hand, for then might those have doubted, who follow falsehood.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:48
- "O my son!" (said Luqman) "If there be (but) the weight of a mustard-seed and it were (hidden) in a rock, or (anywhere) in the heavens or on earth, Allah will bring it forth: for Allah understands the finer mysteries, (and) is well-acquainted (with them).
Luqman - 31:16
- O Prophet! Keep thy duty to Allah and obey not the disbelievers and the hypocrites. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise.
Al-Ahzab - 33:1
- Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the praise of Allah.
Al-Ahzab - 33:21
- Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah is ever Aware of all things.
Al-Ahzab - 33:40
- O Prophet! Truly We have sent thee as a Witness, a Bearer of Glad Tidings, and a Warner
And as one who invites to Allah's (Grace) by His leave, and as a Lamp spreading Light.Al-Ahzab - 33:45-46
- Lo! Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation.
Al-Ahzab - 33:56
- We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from Ourselves: "O ye Mountains! sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him! and ye birds (also)! and We made the iron soft for Him
Saba - 34:10
- And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): its early morning (stride) was a month's (journey), and its evening (stride) was a month's (journey); and We made a Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him by the leave of his Lord and if any of them turned aside from Our command, We made Him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
They worked for him as he desired, (making) Arches, Images Basins as large as Reservoirs, and (cooking) Cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of David, with thanks! but few of My servants are grateful!"
Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).Saba - 34:12-14
- Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).
And if they reject thee, so did their predecessors, to whom came their messengers with Clear Signs, Scripture and the Book of Enlightenment.
In the end did I punish those who rejected Faith: and how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!Fatir - 35:24-26
- And there came from the uttermost part of the city a man running. He cried: O my people! Follow those who have been sent!
Follow those who ask of you no fee, and who are rightly guided.
For what cause should I not serve Him Who hath created me, and unto Whom ye will be brought back?
Shall I take (other) gods in place of Him when, if the Beneficent should wish me any harm, their intercession will avail me naught, nor can they save?
Then truly I should be in error manifest.Ya-Seen - 36:20-24
- And We left for him among the later folk (the salutation):
Peace be unto Abraham!
Thus do We reward the good.
Lo! he is one of Our believing slaves.
And we gave him tidings of the birth of Isaac, a prophet of the righteous.
And We blessed him and Isaac. And of their seed are some who do good, and some who plainly wrong themselves.As-Saaffat - 37:108-113
- And We left for them among the later folk (the salutation):
Peace be unto Moses and Aaron!
Lo! thus do We reward the good.
Lo! they are two of Our believing slaves.As-Saaffat - 37:119-122
- And we left for him among the later folk (the salutation):
Peace be unto Elias!
Lo! thus do We reward the good.
Lo! he is one of our believing slaves.As-Saaffat - 37:129-132
- And lo! Jonah verily was of those sent (to warn)
When he fled unto the laden ship,
And then drew lots and was of those rejected;
And the fish swallowed him while he was blameworthy;
And had he not been one of those who glorify (Allah)
He would have tarried in its belly till the day when they are raised;As-Saaffat - 37:139-144
- And commemorate Our servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, possessors of Power and Vision.
Verily We did chose them for a special (purpose) - remembrance of the Hereafter.
They were, in Our sight, truly, of the company of the Elect and the Good.Suaad - 38:45-47
- Say (O Muhammad, unto mankind): I ask of you no fee for this, and I am no impostor.
Lo! it is naught else than a reminder for all peoples
And ye will come in time to know the truth thereof.Suaad - 38:86-88
- Say (O Muhammad, to the disbelievers): Do ye bid me serve other than Allah? O ye fools!
And verily it hath been revealed unto thee as unto those before thee (saying): If thou ascribe a partner to Allah thy work will fail and thou indeed wilt be among the losers.Az-Zumar - 39:64-65
- The folk of Noah and the factions after them denied (their messengers) before these, and every nation purposed to seize their messenger and argued falsely, (thinking) thereby to refute the Truth. Then I seized them, and how (awful) was My punishment.
Al-Momin - 40:5
- Of old We sent Moses with Our Signs and Authority manifest,
To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun; but they called (him) "a sorcerer telling lies!"...
Now, when he came to them in Truth, from Us, they said "Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and keep alive their females", but the plots of Unbelievers (end) in nothing but errors (and delusions)!"...
Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him Call on his Lord! What I fear is lest He should change your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to appear in the land!"Al-Momin - 40:23-26
- A Believer, a man from among the people of Pharaoh, who had concealed his faith, said: "Will ye slay a man because he says 'My Lord is Allah'? - When he has indeed come to you with Clear (Signs) from your Lord? And if he be a liar, on him is (the sin of) his lie: but if he is telling the Truth, then will fall on you something of the (calamity) of which he warns you: truly Allah guides not one who transgresses and lies!
"O my people! yours is the dominion this day: ye have the upper hand in the land: but who will help us from the Punishment of Allah, should it befall us?" Pharaoh said: "I but point out to you that which I see (myself); nor do I guide you but to the Path of Right!"
Then said the man who believed: "O my People! truly I do fear for you something like the Day (of disaster) of the Confederates (in sin)! -
"Something like the fate of the people of Noah, the 'Ad and the Thamud, and those who came after them: but Allah never wishes injustice to His Servants.
"And O my People! I fear for you a Day when there will be mutual calling (and wailing) -
A Day when ye shall turn your backs and flee: no defender shall ye have from Allah: any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is none to guide...
"And to you there came Joseph in times gone by, with Clear Signs, but ye ceased not to doubt of the (mission) for which he had come: at length, when he died, ye said: `No Messenger will Allah send after him.' Thus doth Allah leave to stray such as transgress and live in doubt -
"(Such) as dispute about the Signs of Allah, without any authority that hath reached them. Grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of Allah and of the Believers. Thus doth Allah seal up every heart - of arrogant and obstinate transgressors."Al-Momin - 40:28-35
- The man who believed said further: "O my People! follow me: I will lead you to the Path of Right.
"O my people! This life of the present is nothing but (temporary) convenience: it is the Hereafter that is the Home that will last.
"He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer - such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): therein will they have abundance without measure.
"And O my People! how (strange) it is for me to call you to Salvation while ye call me to the Fire!
"Ye do call upon me to blaspheme against Allah, and to join with Him Partners of whom I have no knowledge; and I call you to the Exalted in Power, Who forgives again and again!"
"Without doubt ye do call me to one who is not fit to be called to, whether in this world, or in the Hereafter; our Return will be to Allah; and the Transgressors will be Companions of the Fire!
"Soon will ye remember what I say to you (now) My (own) affair I commit to Allah: for Allah (ever) watches over His Servants."
Then Allah saved him from (every) evil that they plotted (against him), but the brunt of the Penalty encompassed on all sides the People of Pharaoh.Al-Momin - 40:38-45
- As for A'ad, they were arrogant in the land without right, and they said: Who is mightier than us in power? Could they not see that Allah Who created them, He was mightier than them in power? And they denied Our revelations.
Therefor We let loose on them a raging wind in evil days, that We might make them taste the torment of disgrace in the life of the world. And verily the doom of the Hereafter will be more shameful, and they will not be helped.Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:15-16
- And as for Thamud, We gave them guidance, but they preferred blindness to the guidance, so the bolt of the doom of humiliation overtook them because of what they used to earn.
And We delivered those who believed and used to keep their duty to Allah.Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:17-18
- The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - that which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: namely, that ye should remain steadfast in Religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).
Ash-Shura - 42:13
- And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! see ye not then?
"Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?
"Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him, or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in procession?"
Thus did he make fools of his people and they obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious (against Allah).
When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them and We drowned them all
And We made them (a people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.Az-Zukhruf - 43:51-56
- "And leave the sea as a furrow (divided). for they are a host (destined) to be drowned."
How many were the gardens and springs they left behind.
And corn-fields and noble buildings.
And wealth (and conveniences of life) wherein they had taken such delight!
Thus (was their end)! And We made other people inherit (those things)!
And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them: nor were they given a respite (again).
We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel from humiliating Punishment,
Inflicted by Pharaoh, for he was arrogant (even) among inordinate transgressors.
And We chose them aforetime above the nations, knowingly,
And granted them Signs in which there was a manifest trial.Ad-Dukhan - 44:24-33
- Say: I am no new thing among the messengers (of Allah), nor know I what will be done with me or with you. I do but follow that which is inspired in me, and I am but a plain warner.
Al-Ahqaf - 46:9
- And make mention (O Muhammad) of the brother of A'ad when he warned his folk among the wind-curved sandhills - and verily warners came and went before and after him - saying: Serve none but Allah. Lo! I fear for you the doom of a tremendous Day.
They said: Hast come to turn us away from our gods? Then bring upon us that wherewith thou threatenest us, if thou art of the truthful.
He said: The knowledge is with Allah only. I convey unto you that wherewith I have been sent, but I see you are a folk that know not.
Then, when they beheld it as a dense cloud coming toward their valleys, they said: Here is a cloud bringing us rain. Nay, but it is that which ye did seek to hasten, a wind wherein is painful torment
Destroying all things by commandment of its Lord. And morning found them so that naught could be seen save their dwellings. Thus do We reward the guilty folk.Al-Ahqaf - 46:21-25
- The folk of Noah denied (the truth) before them, and (so did) the dwellers at Ar-Rass and (the tribe of) Thamud
And (the tribe of) A'ad, and Pharaoh, and the brethren of Lot
And the dwellers in the wood, and the folk of Tubb'a: every one denied their messengers, therefore My threat took effect.
Were We then worn out by the first creation? Yet they are in doubt about a new creation.Qaf - 50:12-15
- We are best aware of what they say, and thou (O Muhammad) art in no wise a compeller over them. But warn by the Qur'an him who feareth My threat.
Qaf - 50:45
- They said: Lo! we are sent unto a guilty folk
That we may send upon them stones of clay
Marked by thy Lord for (the destruction of) the wanton.
Then we brought forth such believers as were there.
But We found there but one house of those surrendered (to Allah).
And We left behind therein a portent for those who fear a painful doom.Adh-Dhariyat - 51:32-37
- By the Star when it setteth
Your comrade erreth not, nor is deceived;
Nor doth he speak of (his own) desire.
It is naught save an inspiration that is inspired
Which one of mighty powers hath taught him
One vigorous; and he grew clear to view
When he was on the uppermost horizon.
Then he drew nigh and came down
Till he was (distant) two bows' length or even nearer
And He revealed unto His slave that which He revealed.
The heart lied not (in seeing) what it saw.
Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he seeth?
And verily he saw him yet another time
By the lote-tree of the utmost boundary
Nigh unto which is the Garden of Abode.
When that which shroudeth did enshroud the lote-tree
The eye turned not aside nor yet was overbold.
Verily he saw one of the greater revelations of his Lord.An-Najm - 53:1-18
- The hour drew nigh and the moon was rent in twain.
And if they behold a portent they turn away and say: Prolonged illusion.
They denied (the Truth) and followed their own lusts. Yet everything will come to a decisionAl-Qamar - 54:1-3
- The folk of Noah denied before them, yea, they denied Our slave and said: A madman; and he was repulsed.
So he cried unto his Lord, saying: I am vanquished, so give help.
Then opened We the gates of heaven with pouring water
And caused the earth to gush forth springs, so that the waters met for a predestined purpose.Al-Qamar - 54:9-12
- And when Jesus son of Mary said: O Children of Israel! Lo! I am the messenger of Allah unto you, confirming that which was (revealed) before me in the Torah, and bringing good tidings of a messenger who cometh after me, whose name is the Praised One. Yet when he hath come unto them with clear proofs, they say: This is mere magic.
As-Saff - 61:6
- It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom - although they had been, before, in manifest error
Al-Jumua - 62:2
- Allah citeth an example for those who disbelieve: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot, who were under two of Our righteous slaves yet betrayed them so that they (the husbands) availed them naught against Allah and it was said (unto them): Enter the Fire along with those who enter.
And Allah citeth an example for those who believe: the wife of Pharaoh when she said: My Lord! Build for me a home with thee in the Garden, and deliver me from Pharaoh and his work, and deliver me from evil-doing folk;
And Mary, daughter of 'Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was of the obedient.At-Tahrim - 66:10-12
- And thou (standest) on an exalted standard of character.
Al-Qalam - 68:4
- He said: My Lord! Lo! I have called unto my people night and day
But all my calling doth but add to their repugnance;
And lo! whenever I call unto them that Thou mayst pardon them they thrust their fingers in their ears and cover themselves with their garments and persist (in their refusal) and magnify themselves in pride.
And lo! I have called unto them aloud
And lo! I have made public proclamation unto them, and I have appealed to them in private.Nooh - 71:5-9
- Say: "It is not in my power to cause you harm, or to bring you to right conduct."
Say: "No one can deliver me from Allah (if I were to disobey Him), nor should I find refuge except in Him.Al-Jinn - 72:21-22
- Stir not thy tongue herewith to hasten it.
Lo! upon Us (resteth) the putting together thereof and the reading thereof.
And when We read it, follow thou the reading;
Then lo! upon Us (resteth) the explanation thereof.Al-Qiyama - 75:16-19
- They ask thee of the Hour: when will it come to port?
Why (ask they)? What hast thou to tell thereof?
Unto thy Lord belongeth (knowledge of) the term thereof
Thou art but a warner unto him who feareth it
On the day when they behold it, it will be as if they had but tarried for an evening or the morn thereof.An-Naziat - 79:42-46
- The (Prophet) frowned and turned away
Because there came to him the blind man (interrupting)
But what could tell thee but that perchance he might Grow (in spiritual understanding)?
Or that he might receive admonition, and the teaching might profit him?
As to one who regards himself as self-sufficient
To him dost thou attend;
Though it is no blame to thee if he grow not (in spiritual understanding)
But as to him who came to thee striving earnestly
And with fear (in his heart)
Of him wast thou unmindful
By no means (should it be so)! For it is indeed a Message of instructionAbasa - 80:1-11