Excerpts from Quran: Virtue, Morality, Character and Social Conduct
- Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.
Who say: when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong and to Him is our return."Al-Baqara - 2:155-156
- It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Book and the Messengers; to spend of your substance out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans for the needy, for the wayfarer for those who ask and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer and practise regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient in pain (or suffering) and adversity and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth the Allah-fearing.
Al-Baqara - 2:177
- And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for Allah loveth those who do good.
Al-Baqara - 2:195
- (In the case of) those of you who are about to die and leave behind them wives, they should bequeath unto their wives a provision for the year without turning them out, but if they go out (of their own accord) there is no sin for you in that which they do of themselves within their rights. Allah is Mighty, Wise.
For divorced women a provision in kindness: a duty for those who ward off (evil).Al-Baqara - 2:240-241
- Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times? It is Allah that giveth (you) want or plenty and to Him shall be your return.
Al-Baqara - 2:245
- The parable of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is that of a grain of corn: it groweth seven ears, and each ear hath a hundred grains. Allah giveth manifold increase to whom He pleaseth; and Allah careth for all and He knoweth all things.
Those who spend their wealth in the cause of Allah and follow not up their gifts with reminders of their generosity or with injury, for them their reward is with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is free of all wants, and He is Most Forbearing.Al-Baqara - 2:261-263
- O ye who believe! Cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury - like those who spend their substance to be seen of men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last Day. They are in Parable like a hard, barren rock, on which is a little soil; on it falls heavy rain, which leaves it (just) a bare stone. They will be able to do nothing with aught they have earned. And Allah guideth not those who reject faith.
And the likeness of those who spend their substance seeking to please Allah and to strengthen their souls, is as a garden high and fertile: heavy rain falls on it but makes it yield a double increase of harvest, and if it receives not heavy rain, light moisture sufficeth it. Allah seeth well whatever ye do.Al-Baqara - 2:264-265
- If ye disclose (acts of) charity even so it is well, but if ye conceal them, and make them reach those (really) in need that is best for you: it will remove from you some of your (stains of) evil. And Allah is well acquainted with what ye do. Al-Baqara - 2:271
- (Charity is) for those in need, who, in Allah's cause, are restricted (from travel) and cannot move about in the land, seeking (for trade or work): the ignorant man thinks because of their modesty that they are free from want. Thou shalt know them by their (unfailing) mark: they beg not importunately from all and sundry. And whatever of good ye give, be assured Allah knoweth it well.
Al-Baqara - 2:273
- Those who (in charity) spend of their goods by night and by day, in secret, and in public, have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Al-Baqara - 2:274
- Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear nor shall they grieve.
Al-Baqara - 2:277
- If the debtor is in a difficulty grant him time till it is easy for him to repay. But if ye remit if by way of charity, that is best for you if ye only knew.
Al-Baqara - 2:280
- (Namely) those who say: "Our Lord! we have indeed believed: forgive us, then our sins, and save us from the agony of the fire."
Those who show patience, firmness and self-control; who are true (in word and deed); who worship devoutly; who spend (in the way of Allah); and who pray for forgiveness in the early hours of the morning.Aal-e-Imran - 3:16-17
- Say, (O Muhammad, to mankind): If ye love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:31
- By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, Allah knoweth it well.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:92
- And obey Allah and the Messenger; that ye may obtain mercy.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:132
- Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord and for a Garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous.
Those who spend (freely) whether in prosperity or in adversity; who restrain anger and pardon (all) men; for Allah loves those who do good.
And those who having done something to be ashamed of, or wronged their own souls earnestly bring Allah to mind; and ask for forgiveness for their sins, and who can forgive sins except Allah? And are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done.
For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens with rivers flowing underneath an eternal dwelling; how excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)!Aal-e-Imran - 3:133-136
- It is part of the Mercy of Allah that thou dost deal gently with them. Wert thou severe or harsh-hearted they would have broken away from about thee; so pass over (their faults), and ask for (Allah's) forgiveness for them; and consult them in affairs (of moment). Then when thou hast taken a decision, put thy trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).
Aal-e-Imran - 3:159
- Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger even after being wounded, those who do right and refrain from wrong have a great reward.
Men said to them: "A great army is gathering against you, so fear them": but it (only) increased their Faith. They said: "For us Allah sufficeth, and He is the best disposer of affairs."Aal-e-Imran - 3:172-173
- Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly hear much that will grieve you from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil, then that will be a determining factor in all affairs.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:186
- O ye who believe! persevere in patience and constancy: vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah; that ye may prosper.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:200
- To those weak of understanding make not over your property which Allah hath made a means of support for you, but feed and clothe them therewith, and speak to them words of kindness and justice.
Make trial of orphans until they reach the age of marriage; if then ye find sound judgment in them, release their property to them; but consume it not wastefully, nor in haste against their growing up. If the guardian is well-off, let him claim no remuneration, but if he is poor, let him have for himself what is just and reasonable. When ye release their property to them, take witnesses in their presence: but all-sufficient is Allah in taking account.An-Nisa - 4:5-6
- And covet not the thing in which Allah hath made some of you excel others. Unto men a fortune from that which they have earned, and unto women a fortune from that which they have earned. (Envy not one another) but ask Allah of His bounty. Lo! Allah is ever Knower of all things.
An-Nisa - 4:32
- And serve Allah. Ascribe no thing as partner unto Him. (Show) kindness unto parents, and unto near kindred, and orphans, and the needy, and unto the neighbour who is of kin (unto you) and the neighbour who is not of kin, and the fellow-traveller and the wayfarer and (the slaves) whom your right hands possess. Lo! Allah loveth not such as are proud and boastful.
An-Nisa - 4:36
- O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; and if ye have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if ye are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more seemly in the end.
An-Nisa - 4:59
- Whoso obeyeth Allah and the messenger, they are with those unto whom Allah hath shown favour, of the prophets and the saints and the martyrs and the righteous. The best of company are they!
That is bounty from Allah, and Allah sufficeth as Knower.An-Nisa - 4:69-70
- He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah: but if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over their (evil deeds).
An-Nisa - 4:80
- O ye who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts) lest ye swerve and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.
An-Nisa - 4:135
- Already has He sent you word in the Book, that when ye hear the signs of Allah held in defiance and ridicule, ye are not to sit with them unless they turn to a different theme: if ye did, ye would be like them. For Allah will collect the Hypocrites and those who defy faith, all in hell.
An-Nisa - 4:140
- O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to Piety: and fear Allah For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.
Al-Maeda - 5:8
- For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth.
Al-Maeda - 5:32
- O ye who believe! Be mindful of your duty to Allah, and seek the way of approach unto Him, and strive in His way in order that ye may succeed.
Al-Maeda - 5:35
- And unto Midian (We sent) their brother, Shu'eyb. He said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other God save Him. Lo! a clear proof hath come unto you from your Lord; so give full measure and full weight and wrong not mankind in their goods, and work not confusion in the earth after the fair ordering thereof. That will be better for you, if ye are believers.
Al-Araf - 7:85
- Hold to forgiveness; command what is right; but turn away from the ignorant.
Al-Araf - 7:199
- They only are the (true) believers whose hearts feel fear when Allah is mentioned, and when revelations of Allah are recited unto them they increase their faith, and who trust in their Lord;
Who establish worship and spend of that We have bestowed on them.
Those are they who are in truth believers. For them are grades (of honour) with their Lord, and pardon, and a bountiful provision.Al-Anfal - 8:2-4
- And obey Allah and His messenger, and dispute not one with another lest ye falter and your strength depart from you; but be steadfast! Lo! Allah is with the steadfast.
Al-Anfal - 8:46
- Those who believed, and adopted exile and fought for the faith with their property and their persons, in the cause of Allah, as well as those who gave (them) asylum and aid they are (all) friends and protectors, one of another. As to those who believed but came not into exile, ye owe no duty of protection to them until they come not into exile, but if they seek your aid in religion it is your duty to help them, except against a people with whom ye have a treaty of mutual alliance: and (remember) Allah seeth all that ye do.
The Unbelievers are protectors, one of another: unless ye do this (protect each other) there would be tumult and oppression on earth, and great mischief.Al-Anfal - 8:72-73
- O ye who believe! Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for friends if they take pleasure in disbelief rather than faith. Whoso of you taketh them for friends, such are wrong-doers.
Say: If your fathers, and your sons, and your brethren, and your wives, and your tribe, and the wealth ye have acquired, and merchandise for which ye fear that there will be no sale, and dwellings ye desire are dearer to you than Allah and His messenger and striving in His way: then wait till Allah bringeth His command to pass. Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.Al-Tawba - 9:23-24
- Alms are for the poor and the needy, and those employed to administer the (funds); for those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled (to Truth); for those in bondage and in debt; in the cause of Allah; and for the wayfarer: (thus is it) ordained by Allah and Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.
Al-Tawba - 9:60
- The Believers men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practice regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise.
Al-Tawba - 9:71
- (Triumphant) are those who turn repentant (to Allah), those who serve (Him), those who praise (Him), those who fast, those who bow down, those who fall prostrate (in worship), those who enjoin the right and who forbid the wrong and those who keep the limits (ordained) of Allah - And give glad tidings to believers!
Al-Tawba - 9:112
- Those who believe and keep their duty (to Allah).
Theirs are good tidings in the life of the world and in the Hereafter - There is no changing the Words of Allah - that is the Supreme Triumph.Yunus - 10:63-64
- Why were there not among, the generations before you, persons possessed of balanced good sense prohibiting (men) from mischief in the earth except a few among them whom We saved (from harm)? But the wrongdoers pursued the enjoyment of the good things of life which were given them, and persisted in sin.
Hud - 11:116
- Is then one who doth know that that which hath been revealed unto these from thy Lord is the Truth, like one who is blind? It is those who are endued with understanding that receive admonition
Those who fulfil the Covenant of Allah and fail not in their plighted word;
Those who join together those things which Allah hath commanded to be joined, hold their Lord in awe, and fear the terrible reckoning;
Those who patiently persevere, seeking the countenance their Lord; establish regular prayers; spend out of (the gifts) We have bestowed for their sustenance, secretly and openly; and turn off Evil with good: for such there is the final attainment of the (Eternal) Home
Gardens of perpetual bliss: they shall enter there, as well as the righteous among their fathers, their spouses, and their offspring: and angels shall enter unto them from every gate (with the salutation):
"Peace unto you for that ye persevered in patience! Now how excellent is the final Home!"Al-Rad - 13:19-24
- Seest thou not how Allah coineth a similitude: A goodly saying, as a goodly tree, its root set firm, its branches reaching into heaven
Giving its fruit at every season by permission of its Lord? Allah coineth the similitudes for mankind in order that they may reflect.
And the similitude of a bad saying is as a bad tree, uprooted from upon the earth, possessing no stability.Ibrahim - 14:24-26
- And those who became fugitives for the cause of Allah after they had been oppressed, We verily shall give them goodly lodging in the world, and surely the reward of the Hereafter is greater, if they but knew;
Such as are steadfast and put their trust in Allah.An-Nahl - 16:41-42
- Allah commands justice, the doing of good, and liberty to kith and kin, and He forbids all shameful deeds, and injustice and rebellion: He instructs you, that ye may receive admonition.
An-Nahl - 16:90
- Fulfil the covenant of Allah when ye have entered into it, and break not your oaths after ye have confirmed them; indeed ye have made Allah your surety; for Allah knoweth all that ye do.
An-Nahl - 16:91
- And be not like unto her who unravelleth the thread, after she hath made it strong, to thin filaments, making your oaths a deceit between you because of a nation being more numerous than (another) nation. Allah only trieth you thereby, and He verily will explain to you on the Day of Resurrection that wherein ye differed.
An-Nahl - 16:92
- And take not your oaths to practice deception between yourselves, with the result that someone's foot may slip after it was firmly planted; and ye may have to taste the evil (consequences) of having hindered (men) from the path of Allah and a mighty Wrath descend on you.
Nor sell the covenant of Allah for a miserable price: for with Allah is (a prize) far better for you, if ye only knew.An-Nahl - 16:94-95
- If ye punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith ye were afflicted. But if ye endure patiently, verily it is better for the patient.
An-Nahl - 16:126
- For Allah is with those who restrain themselves and those who do good.
An-Nahl - 16:128
- Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.
And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: "My Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."Al-Isra - 17:23-24
- And render to the kindred their due rights, as (also) to those in want and to the wayfarer: but squander not (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.
Verily spendthrifts are brothers of the Evil Ones; and the Evil One is to his Lord (Himself) ungrateful.Al-Isra - 17:26-27
- And even if thou hast to turn away from them in pursuit of the Mercy from thy Lord which thou dost expect, yet speak to them a word of easy kindness.
Make not thy hand tied (like a niggard's) to thy neck, nor stretch it forth to its utmost reach, so that thou become blameworthy and destitute.
Verily thy Lord doth provide sustenance in abundance for whom He pleaseth, and He provideth in a just measure: for He doth know and regard all His servants.Al-Isra - 17:28-30
- Slay not your children, fearing a fall to poverty, We shall provide for them and for you. Lo! the slaying of them is great sin.
Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils).Al-Isra - 17:31-32
- Come not near the wealth of the orphan save with that which is better till he come to strength; and keep the covenant. Lo! of the covenant it will be asked.
Al-Isra - 17:34
- Give full measure when ye measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight: that is the most fitting and the most advantageous in the final determination.
Al-Isra - 17:35
- Nor walk on the earth with insolence: for thou canst not rend the earth asunder, nor reach the mountains in height.
Al-Isra - 17:37
- Tell My bondmen to speak that which is kindlier. Lo! the devil soweth discord among them. Lo! the devil is for man an open foe.
Al-Isra - 17:53
- Say (unto them): If ye possessed the treasures of the mercy of my Lord, ye would surely hold them back for fear of spending, for man was ever grudging.
Al-Isra - 17:100
- Wealth and children are an ornament of the life of the world. But the good deeds which endure are better in thy Lord's sight for reward, and better in respect of hope.
Al-Kahf - 18:46
- "But without doubt, I am (also) He that forgives again, and again to those who repent, believe, and do right - who, in fine, are ready to receive true guidance."
Ta-Ha - 20:82
- And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline): He has chosen you and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help!
Al-Hajj - 22:78
- The Believers must (eventually) win through
Those who humble themselves in their prayers;
Who avoid vain talk;
Who are active in deeds of charity;
Who abstain from sex
Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess for (in their case) they are free from blame,
But those whose desires exceed those limits are transgressors
Those who faithfully observe their Trusts and their covenants;
And who (strictly) guard their prayers
Those will be the heirs
Who will inherit Paradise: they will dwell therein (forever).Al-Mumenoon - 23:1-11
- Those who brought forward the lie are a body among yourselves: think it not to be an evil to you: on the contrary it is good for you: to every man among them (will come the punishment) of the sin that he earned and to him who took on himself the lead among them will be a Penalty grievous.
Why did not Believers, men and women when ye heard of the affair put the best construction on it in their own minds and say "This (charge) is an obvious lie"?
Why did they not bring four witnesses, to prove it? When they have not brought the witnesses such men in the sight of Allah, (stand forth) themselves as liars!
Were it not for the grace and mercy of Allah on you, in this world and the Hereafter, a grievous penalty would have seized you in that ye rushed glibly into this affair.
Behold ye received it on your tongues and said out of your mouths things of which ye had no knowledge; and ye thought it to be a light matter, while it was most serious in the sight of Allah.
And why did ye not when ye heard it say? "It is not right of us to speak of this: Glory to Thee (our Lord)! this is a most serious slander!"
Allah doth admonish you, that ye may never repeat such (conduct) if ye are (true) Believers.Al-Noor - 24:11-17
- O ye who believe! Enter not houses other than your own, until ye have asked permission and saluted those in them: that is best for you in order that ye may heed (what is seemly).
If ye find no one in the house enter not until permission is given to you: if ye are asked to go back, go back: that makes for greater purity for yourselves: and Allah knows well all that ye do.Al-Noor - 24:27-28
- Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is aware of what they do.
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.Al-Noor - 24:30-31
- The saying of (all true) believers when they are called unto Allah and His messenger to judge between them is only that they say: We hear and we obey. And such are the successful.
Al-Noor - 24:51
- And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say "Peace!"
Those who spend the night in adoration of their Lord prostrate and standing;
Those who say "Our Lord! avert from us the Wrath of Hell, for its Wrath is indeed an affliction grievous
"Evil indeed is it as an abode, and as a place to rest in";
Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes);
Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred, except for just cause, not commit fornication and any that does this (not only) meets punishmentAl-Furqan - 25:63-68
- Those who witness no falsehood and, if they pass by futility, they pass by it with honourable (avoidance);
Those who, when they are admonished with the Signs of their Lord, droop not down at them as if they were deaf or blind:
And those who pray "Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous."
Those are the ones who will be rewarded with the highest place in heaven because of their patient constancy; therein shall they be met with salutations and peace
Dwelling therein how beautiful an abode and place of rest!Al-Furqan - 25:72-76
- And when they hear vain talk, they turn away therefrom and say: "To us our deeds and to you yours; peace be to you: we seek not the ignorant."
Al-Qasas - 28:55
- But as for him who shall repent and believe and do right, he haply may be one of the successful.
Al-Qasas - 28:67
- As for those who strive in Us, We surely guide them to Our paths, and lo! Allah is with the good.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:69
- So give to the kinsman his due, and to the needy, and to the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek Allah's Countenance. And such are they who are successful.
Al-Room - 30:38
- And We have enjoined upon man concerning his parents - His mother beareth him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning is in two years - Give thanks unto Me and unto thy parents. Unto Me is the journeying.
But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who repenteth unto Me. Then unto Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what ye used to doLuqman - 31:14-15
- "O my son! Establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever betide thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.
Luqman - 31:17
- "And swell not thy cheek (for pride) at men nor walk in insolence through the earth; for Allah loveth not any arrogant boaster.
"And be moderate in thy pace, and lower thy voice; for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying of the ass."Luqman - 31:18-19
- Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the praise of Allah.
Al-Ahzab - 33:21
- O ye wives of the Prophet! Whosoever of you committeth manifest lewdness, the punishment for her will be doubled, and that is easy for Allah.
And whosoever of you is submissive unto Allah and His messenger and doeth right, We shall give her reward twice over, and We have prepared for her a rich provision.
O ye wives of the Prophet! Ye are not like any other women. If ye keep your duty (to Allah), then be not soft of speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease aspire (to you), but utter customary speech.
And stay in your houses. Bedizen not yourselves with the bedizenment of the Time of Ignorance. Be regular in prayer, and pay the poor-due, and obey Allah and His messenger. Allah's wish is but to remove uncleanness far from you, O Folk of the Household, and cleanse you with a thorough cleansing.Al-Ahzab - 33:30-33
- Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward.
Al-Ahzab - 33:35
- And it becometh not a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His messenger have decided an affair (for them), that they should (after that) claim any say in their affair; and whoso is rebellious to Allah and His messenger, he verily goeth astray in error manifest.
Al-Ahzab - 33:36
- O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and (always) say a word directed to the Right:
That He may make your conduct whole and sound and forgive you your sins: he that obeys Allah and His Messenger, has already attained the highest Achievement.Al-Ahzab - 33:70-71
- It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work Righteousness - these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!
Saba - 34:37
- Who hear advice and follow the best thereof. Such are those whom Allah guideth, and such are men of understanding.
Az-Zumar - 39:18
- And he who brings the Truth and he who confirms (and supports) it - such are the men who do right.
They shall have all that they wish for, in the presence of their Lord: such is the reward of those who do good:
So that Allah will turn off from them (even) the worst in their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of what they have done.Az-Zumar - 39:33-35
- In the case of those who say "Our Lord is Allah", and further, stand straight and steadfast, the angels descend on them (from time to time): "Fear ye not!" (they suggest) "Nor grieve! but receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss), the which ye were promised!
"We are your protectors in this life and in the Hereafter: therein shall ye have all that your souls shall desire; therein shall ye have all that ye ask for!
"A hospitable gift from One Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful!"Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:30-32
- Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says "I am of those who bow in Islam"?
Nor can Goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!
And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint none but persons of the greatest good fortune.
And if (at any time) an incitement to discord is made to thee by the Evil One, seek refuge in Allah. He is the One Who hears and knows all things.Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:33-36
- And they were not divided until after the knowledge came unto them, through rivalry among themselves; and had it not been for a Word that had already gone forth from thy Lord for an appointed term, it surely had been judged between them. And those who were made to inherit the Scripture after them are verily in hopeless doubt concerning it.
Unto this, then, summon (O Muhammad). And be thou upright as thou art commanded, and follow not their lusts, but say: I believe in whatever scripture Allah hath sent down, and I am commanded to be just among you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord. Unto us our works and unto you your works; no argument between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and unto Him is the journeying.Ash-Shura - 42:14-15
- Those who avoid the greater crimes and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive;
Those who harken to their Lord, and establish regular prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance;
And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed but) help and defend themselves.
The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due, from Allah: for (Allah) loveth not those who do wrong.
But indeed if any do help and defend himself after a wrong (done) to them against such there is no cause of blame.
The blame is only against those who oppress men with wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a Penalty grievous.
But indeed if any show patience and forgive, that would truly be an exercise of courageous will and resolution in the conduct of affairs.Ash-Shura - 42:37-43
- And those who believe say: If only a surah were revealed! But when a decisive surah is revealed and war is mentioned therein, thou seest those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with the look of men fainting unto death. Therefor woe unto them!
Obedience and a civil word. Then, when the matter is determined, if they are loyal to Allah it will be well for them.Muhammad - 47:20-21
- O ye who believe! obey Allah and obey the Messenger, and make not vain your deeds!
Muhammad - 47:33
- The life of this world is but play and amusement: and if ye believe and guard against Evil, He will grant you your recompense, and will not ask you (to give up) your possessions.
Muhammad - 47:36
- Lo! ye are those who are called to spend in the way of Allah, yet among you there are some who hoard. And as for him who hoardeth, he hoardeth only from his soul. And Allah is the Rich, and ye are the poor. And if ye turn away He will exchange you for some other folk, and they will not be the likes of you.
Muhammad - 47:38
- Lo! those who swear allegiance unto thee (Muhammad), swear allegiance only unto Allah. The Hand of Allah is above their hands. So whosoever breaketh his oath, breaketh it only to his soul's hurt; while whosoever keepeth his covenant with Allah, on him will He bestow immense reward.
Al-Fath - 48:10
- Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other. Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer) seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their prostration. This is their similitude in the Towrah; and their similitude in the Gospel is: like a seed which sends forth its blade, then makes it strong; it then becomes thick and it stands on its own stem (filling) the sowers with wonder and delight. As a result, it fills the Unbelievers with rage at him. Allah has promised those among them who believe and do righteous deeds Forgiveness and a great Reward.
Al-Fath - 48:29
- O ye who believe! if a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance for what ye have done.
Al-Hujraat - 49:6
- And if two parties of believers fall to fighting, then make peace between them. And if one party of them doeth wrong to the other, fight ye that which doeth wrong till it return unto the ordinance of Allah; then, if it return, make peace between them justly, and act equitably. Lo! Allah loveth the equitable. The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers: And fear Allah that ye may receive Mercy.
Al-Hujraat - 49:9-10
- O ye who believe! let not some men among you laugh at others: it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): nor let some women laugh at others: it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
Al-Hujraat - 49:11
- O ye who believe! avoid suspicion as much (as possible): for suspicion in some cases is a sin: and spy not on each other, nor speak ill of each other behind their backs. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Nay, ye would abhor it...but fear Allah: for Allah is Relenting, Most Merciful.
Al-Hujraat - 49:12
- Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
Al-Hujraat - 49:13
- Lo! those who keep from evil will dwell amid gardens and watersprings
Taking that which their Lord giveth them; for lo! aforetime they were doers of good;
They used to sleep but little of the night
And ere the dawning of each day would seek forgiveness
And in their wealth the beggar and the outcast had due share.Adh-Dhariyat - 51:15-19
- Seest thou one who turns back.
Gives a little, then hardens (his heart)?An-Najm - 53:33-34
- That ye exceed not the measure
But observe the measure strictly, nor fall short thereof.Ar-Rahman - 55:8-9
- Believe in Allah and His messenger, and spend of that whereof He hath made you trustees; and such of you as believe and spend (aright), theirs will be a great reward.
Al-Hadid - 57:7
- And what aileth you that ye spend not in the way of Allah when unto Allah belongeth the inheritance of the heavens and the earth? Those who spent and fought before the victory are not upon a level (with the rest of you). Such are greater in rank than those who spent and fought afterwards. Unto each hath Allah promised good. And Allah is informed of what ye do.
Al-Hadid - 57:10
- Who is he that will lend unto Allah a goodly loan, that He may double it for him and his may be a rich reward?
Al-Hadid - 57:11
- For those who give in Charity, men and women, and loan to Allah a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit) and they shall have (besides) a liberal reward.
Al-Hadid - 57:18
- Race one with another for forgiveness from your Lord and a Garden whereof the breadth is as the breadth of the heavens and the earth, which is in store for those who believe in Allah and His messengers. Such is the bounty of Allah, which He bestoweth upon whom He will, and Allah is of Infinite Bounty.
Al-Hadid - 57:21
- That ye grieve not for the sake of that which hath escaped you, nor yet exult because of that which hath been given. Allah loveth not all prideful boasters
Al-Hadid - 57:23
- O ye who believe! Be mindful of your duty to Allah and put faith in His messenger. He will give you twofold of His mercy and will appoint for you a light wherein ye shall walk, and will forgive you. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful;
Al-Hadid - 57:28
- O ye who believe! When ye conspire together, conspire not together for crime and wrongdoing and disobedience toward the messenger, but conspire together for righteousness and piety, and keep your duty toward Allah, unto whom ye will be gathered.
Lo! Conspiracy is only of the devil, that he may vex those who believe; but he can harm them not at all unless by Allah's leave. In Allah let believers put their trust.Al-Mujadila - 58:9-10
- Thou wilt not find folk who believe in Allah and the Last Day loving those who oppose Allah and His messenger, even though they be their fathers or their sons or their brethren or their clan. As for such, He hath written faith upon their hearts and hath strengthened them with a Spirit from Him, and He will bring them into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide. Allah is well pleased with them, and they are well pleased with Him. They are Allah's party. Lo! is it not Allah's party who are the successful?
Al-Mujadila - 58:22
- That which Allah giveth as spoil unto His messenger from the people of the townships, it is for Allah and His messenger and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, that it become not a commodity between the rich among you. And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is stern in reprisal.
And (it is) for the poor fugitives who have been driven out from their homes and their belongings, who seek bounty from Allah and help Allah and His messenger. They are the loyal.Al-Hashr - 59:7-8
- And those who before them, had homes (in Medina) and had adopted the Faith - show their affection to such as came to them for refuge, and entertain no desire in their hearts for things given to the (latter), but give them preference over themselves even though poverty was their (own lot). And those saved from the covetousness of their own souls, they are the ones that achieve prosperity.
Al-Hashr - 59:9
- O ye who believe! Fear Allah and let every soul look to what (provision) he has sent forth for the morrow. Yea, fear Allah: for Allah is well-acquainted with (all) that ye do.
And be ye not like those who forgot Allah; and He made them forget themselves souls! such are the rebellious transgressors!Al-Hashr - 59:18-19
- O ye who believe! Choose not My enemy and your enemy for friends. Do ye give them friendship when they disbelieve in that Truth which hath come unto you, driving out the messenger and you because ye believe in Allah, your Lord? If ye have come forth to strive in My way and seeking My good pleasure, (show them not friendship). Do ye show friendship unto them in secret, when I am best aware of what ye hide and what ye proclaim? And whosoever doeth it among you, he verily hath strayed from the right way.
If they have the upper hand of you, they will be your foes, and will stretch out their hands and their tongues toward you with evil (intent), and they long for you to disbelieve.
Your ties of kindred and your children will avail you naught upon the Day of Resurrection. He will part you. Allah is Seer of what ye do.
There is a goodly pattern for you in Abraham and those with him, when they told their folk: Lo! we are guiltless of you and all that ye worship beside Allah. We have done with you. And there hath arisen between us and you hostility and hate for ever until ye believe in Allah only - save that which Abraham promised his father (when he said): I will ask forgiveness for thee, though I own nothing for thee from Allah - Our Lord! In Thee we put our trust, and unto Thee we turn repentant, and unto Thee is the journeying.Al-Mumtahina - 60:1-4
- Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo! Allah loveth the just dealers.
Allah forbiddeth you only those who warred against you on account of religion and have driven you out from your homes and helped to drive you out, that ye make friends of them. Whosoever maketh friends of them - (All) such are wrong-doers.Al-Mumtahina - 60:8-9
- O ye who believe! Be not friendly with a folk with whom Allah is wroth, (a folk) who have despaired of the Hereafter as the disbelievers despair of those who are in the graves.
Al-Mumtahina - 60:13
- O ye who believe! Why say ye that which ye do not?
It is most hateful in the sight of Allah that ye say that which ye do not.As-Saff - 61:2-3
- O ye who believe! Shall I show you a commerce that will save you from a painful doom?
Ye should believe in Allah and His messenger, and should strive for the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is better for you, if ye did but know.
He will forgive you your sins and bring you into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Gardens of Eden. That is the supreme triumph.As-Saff - 61:10-12
- O ye who believe! Be Allah's helpers, even as Jesus son of Mary said unto the disciples: Who are my helpers for Allah? They said: We are Allah's helpers. And a party of the Children of Israel believed, while a party disbelieved. Then We strengthened those who believed against their foe, and they became the uppermost.
As-Saff - 61:14
- O ye who believe! Let not your wealth nor your children distract you from remembrance of Allah. Those who do so, they are the losers.
And spend of that wherewith We have provided you before death cometh unto one of you and he saith: My Lord! If only thou wouldst reprieve me for a little while, then I would give alms and be among the righteous.
But Allah reprieveth no soul when its term cometh, and Allah is Aware of what ye do.Al-Munafiqoon - 63:9-11
- O ye who believe! Truly, among your wives and your children are (some that are) enemies to yourselves: so beware of them! But if ye forgive and overlook and cover up (their faults), verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of Allah is the highest Reward.At-Taghabun - 64:14-15
- So fear Allah as much as ye can; listen and obey; and spend in charity for the benefit of your own souls: And those saved from the covetousness of their own souls - they are the ones that achieve prosperity.
At-Taghabun - 64:16
- O Prophet! when ye do divorce women, divorce them at their prescribed periods, and count (accurately), their prescribed periods: and fear Allah your Lord: and turn them not out of their houses, nor shall they (themselves) leave, except in case they are guilty of some open lewdness. Those are limits set by Allah: and any who transgresses the limits of Allah, does verily wrong his (own) soul: thou knowest not if perchance Allah will bring about thereafter some new situation.
Thus when they fulfil their term appointed, either take them back on equitable terms or part with them on equitable terms; and take for witness two persons from among you, endued with justice, and establish the evidence (as) before Allah. Such is the admonition given to him who believes in Allah and the Last Day. And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out.At-Talaq - 65:1-2
- Let the man of means spend according to his means: and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allah has given him. Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what he has given him. After a difficulty, Allah will soon grant relief.
At-Talaq - 65:7
- As for those who fear their Lord unseen for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward.
Al-Mulk - 67:12
- Truly man was created, very impatient
Fretful when evil touches him;
And niggardly when good reaches him
Not so those devoted to Prayer
Those who remain steadfast to their prayer;
And those in whose wealth is a recognised right
For the (needy) who asks and him who is prevented (for some reason from asking);
And those who hold to the truth of the Day of Judgment;
And those who fear the punishment of their Lord
For their Lord's displeasure is the opposite of Peace and Tranquillity
And those who guard their chastityAl-Maarij - 70:19-29
- And those who keep their pledges and their covenant
And those who stand by their testimony
And those who are attentive at their worship.
These will dwell in Gardens, honoured.Al-Maarij - 70:32-35
- Lo! the righteous shall drink of a cup whereof the mixture is of water of Kafur
A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah drink, making it gush forth abundantly
(Because) they perform the vow and fear a day whereof the evil is wide-spreading
And feed with food the needy wretch, the orphan and the prisoner, for love of Him
(Saying): We feed you, for the sake of Allah only. We wish for no reward nor thanks from you;
Lo! we fear from our Lord a day of frowning and of fate.
Therefor Allah hath warded off from them the evil of that day, and hath made them find brightness and joy;
And hath awarded them for all that they endured, a Garden and silk attire;Ad-Dahar / Al-Insan - 76:5-12
- But he hath not attempted the Ascent
Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Ascent is!
(It is) to free a slave
And to feed in the day of hunger
An orphan near of kin
Or some poor wretch in misery
And to be of those who believe and exhort one another to perseverance and exhort one another to pityAl-Balad - 90:11-17
- By the Soul, and the proportion and order given to it;
And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right;
Truly he succeeds that purifies it
And he fails that corrupts it!Ash-Shams - 91:7-10
- Lo! your effort is dispersed (toward divers ends)
As for him who giveth and is dutiful (toward Allah)
And believeth in goodness;
Surely We will ease his way unto the state of ease
But as for him who hoardeth and deemeth himself independent
And disbelieveth in goodness;
Surely We will ease his way unto adversity
His riches will not save him when he perishethAl-Lail - 92:4-11
- Those who spend their wealth for increase in self-purification
And have in their minds no favour from anyone for which a reward is expected in return
But only the desire to seek for the countenance of their Lord Most High
And soon will they attain (complete) satisfactionAl-Lail - 92:18-21
- Did He not find thee an orphan and give thee shelter (and care)?
And He found thee wandering, and He gave thee guidance
And He found thee in need, and made thee independent
Therefore treat not the orphan with harshness;
Nor repulse the petitioner (Unheard);Ad-Dhuha - 93:6-10
- By the declining day
Lo! man is a state of loss
Save those who believe and do good works, and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to enduranceAl-Asr - 103:1-3
- Say: O disbelievers!
I worship not that which ye worship;
Nor worship ye that which I worship
And I shall not worship that which ye worship
Nor will ye worship that which I worship
Unto you your religion, and unto me my religionAl-Kafiroon - 109:1-6