Excerpts from Quran: War and Peace
- Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.
But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.
And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression.Al-Baqara - 2:190-193
- Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that ye hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not.
Al-Baqara - 2:216
- They ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month. Say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence); but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members. Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be Companions of the Fire and will abide therein.
Al-Baqara - 2:217
- Hast thou not turned thy vision to the Chiefs of the Children of Israel after (the time of) Moses? They said to a Prophet (that was) among them: "Appoint for us a king that we may fight in the cause of Allah." He said: "Is it not possible, if ye were commanded to fight, that ye will not fight?" They said: "How could we refuse to fight in the cause of Allah seeing that we were turned out of our homes and our families?" But when they were commanded to fight, they turned back except a small band among them. But Allah has full knowledge of those who do wrong.
Al-Baqara - 2:246
- O ye who Believe! be not like the Unbelievers, who say of their brethren, when they are travelling through the earth or engaged in fighting: "If they had stayed with us, they would not have died, or been slain." This that Allah may make it a cause of sighs, and regrets in their hearts. It is Allah that gives Life and Death and Allah sees well all that ye do.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:156
- What ye suffered on the day the two armies met, was with the leave of Allah, in order that He might test the Believers.
And the Hypocrites also. They were told: "Come, fight in the way of Allah, or (at least) drive (the foe from your city)." They say: "Had we known there would be a fight, we should certainly have followed you. They were that day nearer to Unbelief than to Faith, saying with their lips what was not in their hearts. But Allah hath full knowledge of all they conceal.
(They are) the ones that say; (of their brethren slain) while they themselves sit (at ease): "If only they had listened to us, they would not have been slain." Say: "Avert death from your own selves, if ye speak the truth."
Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay they live finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord.Aal-e-Imran - 3:166-169
- Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger even after being wounded, those who do right and refrain from wrong have a great reward.
Men said to them: "A great army is gathering against you, so fear them": but it (only) increased their Faith. They said: "For us Allah sufficeth, and He is the best disposer of affairs."Aal-e-Imran - 3:172-173
- Let those fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of Allah, whether he is slain or gets victory, soon shall We give him a reward of great (value).
And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from Thee one who will protect; and raise for us from Thee one who will help!"An-Nisa - 4:74-75
- Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah and those who reject Faith fight in the cause of Evil: so fight ye against the friends, of Satan: feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan.
An-Nisa - 4:76
- Except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (of peace) or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you or fighting their own people. If Allah had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not and (instead) send you (guarantees of) peace, then Allah hath opened no way for you (to war against them).
Others you will find that wish to be secure from you as well as that of their people: every time they are sent back to temptation, they succumb thereto: if they withdraw not from you nor give you (guarantees) of peace besides restraining their hands, seize them and slay them Wherever ye get them: in their case We have provided you with a clear argument against them.An-Nisa - 4:90-91
- Never should a Believer kill a Believer; but (if it so happens) by mistake, (compensation is due): if one (so) kills a Believer it is ordained that he should free a believing slave, And pay compensation to the deceased's family, unless they remit it freely. If the deceased belonged to a people at war with you, and he was a Believer, the freeing of a believing slave (is enough). If he belonged to a people with whom ye have a treaty of mutual alliance, compensation should be paid to his family, and a believing slave be freed. For those who find this beyond their means (is prescribed) a fast for two months, running: by way of repentance to Allah: for Allah hath all knowledge and all wisdom.
An-Nisa - 4:92
- O ye who believe! when ye meet the Unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them.
If any do turn his back to them on such a day unless it be in a stratagem of war, or to retreat to a troop (of his own) he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell - and evil refuge (indeed)!Al-Anfal - 8:15-16
- It is not ye who slew them; it was Allah: when thou threwest (a handful of dust) it was not thy act, but Allah's: in order that He might test the Believers by a gracious trial from Himself: for Allah is He who heareth and knoweth (all things).
Al-Anfal - 8:17
- (O unbelievers!) if ye prayed for victory and judgment, now hath the judgment come to you: if ye desist (from wrong) it will be best for you: if ye return (to the attack), so shall We. Not the least good will your forces be to you, even if they were multiplied: for verily Allah is with those who believe.
Al-Anfal - 8:19
- And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.
Al-Anfal - 8:39
- And know that whatever ye take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsman (who hath need) and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if ye believe in Allah and that which We revealed unto Our slave on the Day of Discrimination, the day when the two armies met. And Allah is Able to do all things.
Al-Anfal - 8:41
- For the worst of beasts in the sight of Allah are those who reject Him: they will not believe.
They are those with whom thou didst make a covenant, but they break their covenant every time and they have not the fear (of Allah).
If ye gain the mastery over them in war, disperse with them, those who follow them, that they may remember.
If thou fearest treachery from any group, throw back (their Covenant) to them, (so as to be) on equal terms: for Allah loveth not the treacherous.Al-Anfal - 8:55-58
- Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides whom ye may not know but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.
But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is the one that heareth and knoweth (all things).
Should they intend to deceive thee - verily Allah sufficeth thee: He it is that hath strengthened thee with His aid and with (the company of) the Believers:Al-Anfal - 8:60-62
- O Prophet! Rouse the Believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, they will vanquish a thousand of the Unbelievers: for these are a people without understanding.
For the present, Allah hath lightened your (task), for He knoweth that there is a weak spot in you: but (even so), if there are a hundred of you patient and persevering they will vanquish two hundred, and if a thousand, they will vanquish two thousand, with the leave of Allah: for Allah is with those who patiently persevere.Al-Anfal - 8:65-66
- O Prophet! Say unto those captives who are in your hands: If Allah knoweth any good in your hearts He will give you better than that which hath been taken from you, and will forgive you. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
Al-Anfal - 8:70
- To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight) because they are wronged and verily, Allah is Most powerful for their aid
(They are) those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right (for no cause) except that they say "Our Lord is Allah." Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure. Allah will certainly aid those who aid His (cause); for verily Allah is Full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (Able to enforce His Will).Al-Hajj - 22:39-40
- Those who leave their homes in the cause of Allah, and are then slain or die on them will Allah bestow, verily a goodly Provision: truly Allah is He Who bestows the best Provision.
Verily He will admit them to a place with which they shall be well pleased: for Allah is All-Knowing, Most Forbearing.Al-Hajj - 22:58-59
- That (is so). And whoso hath retaliated with the like of that which he was made to suffer and then hath (again) been wronged, Allah will succour him. Lo! Allah verily is Mild, Forgiving.
That is because Allah maketh the night to pass into the day and maketh the day to pass into the night, and because Allah is Hearer, Seer.Al-Hajj - 22:60-61
- Say: "Running away will not profit you if ye are running away from death or slaughter; and even if (ye do escape), no more than a brief (respite) will ye be allowed to enjoy!"
Say: "Who is it that can screen you from Allah if it be His wish to give you Punishment or to give you Mercy?" Nor will they find for themselves, besides Allah any protector or helper.Al-Ahzab - 33:16-17
- Of the believers are men who are true to that which they covenanted with Allah. Some of them have paid their vow by death (in battle), and some of them still are waiting; and they have not altered in the least;
Al-Ahzab - 33:23
- And Allah turned back the Unbelievers for (all) their fury: no advantage did they gain, and enough is Allah for the Believers in their fight. And Allah is full of Strength, Able to enforce His Will.
And those of the people of the Book who aided them - Allah did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts, (so that) some ye slew, and some ye made prisoners.
And He made you heirs of their lands, their houses, and their goods, and of a land which ye had not frequented (before). And Allah has power over all things.Al-Ahzab - 33:25-27
- Truly if the Hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and those who stir up sedition in the City, desist not, We shall certainly stir thee up against them: then will they not be able to stay in it as thy neighbours for any length of time:
They shall have a curse on them: wherever they are found, they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).
(Such was) the practice (approved) of Allah among those who lived aforetime: no change wilt thou find in the practice (approved) of Allah.Al-Ahzab - 33:60-62
- And those who believe say: If only a surah were revealed! But when a decisive surah is revealed and war is mentioned therein, thou seest those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with the look of men fainting unto death. Therefor woe unto them!
Obedience and a civil word. Then, when the matter is determined, if they are loyal to Allah it will be well for them.Muhammad - 47:20-21
- And if two parties of believers fall to fighting, then make peace between them. And if one party of them doeth wrong to the other, fight ye that which doeth wrong till it return unto the ordinance of Allah; then, if it return, make peace between them justly, and act equitably. Lo! Allah loveth the equitable. The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers: And fear Allah that ye may receive Mercy.
Al-Hujraat - 49:9-10
- And what aileth you that ye spend not in the way of Allah when unto Allah belongeth the inheritance of the heavens and the earth? Those who spent and fought before the victory are not upon a level (with the rest of you). Such are greater in rank than those who spent and fought afterwards. Unto each hath Allah promised good. And Allah is informed of what ye do.
Al-Hadid - 57:10
- That which Allah giveth as spoil unto His messenger from the people of the townships, it is for Allah and His messenger and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, that it become not a commodity between the rich among you. And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is stern in reprisal.
And (it is) for the poor fugitives who have been driven out from their homes and their belongings, who seek bounty from Allah and help Allah and His messenger. They are the loyal.Al-Hashr - 59:7-8
- Hast thou not observed the Hypocrites say to their misbelieving brethren among the People of the Book? "If ye are expelled, We too will go out with you and we will never hearken to anyone in your affair; and if ye are attacked (in fight), we will help you." But Allah is witness that they are indeed liars.
If they are expelled never will they go out with them; and if they are attacked (in fight), they will never help them; and if they do help them, they will turn their backs; so they will receive no help.
Of a truth ye are stronger (than they) because of the terror in their hearts (sent) by Allah. This is because they are men devoid of understanding.
They will not fight you (even) together, except in fortified townships, or from behind walls. Strong is their fighting (spirit) amongst themselves: thou wouldst think they were united, but their hearts are divided: that is because they are a people devoid of wisdom.Al-Hashr - 59:11-14
- Lo! Allah loveth them who battle for His cause in ranks, as if they were a solid structure.
As-Saff - 61:4