I am Nobody - What Can I Do?
I have little education and average intelligence; I am an ordinary person with limited income and hardly any resources to contribute; I am just another person; what can I do?
What You Can Do
- You are a citizen – that's somebody
- Aim to become a responsible citizen; it will be a great contribution to society
- Become more aware about your rights as a citizen and your obligations
- Pay your dues
- Respect the law; don't make a mess in traffic; line up in queues and wait for your turn; fulfill your obligations proactively instead of waiting for a claim
- Don't let others bulldoze your rights without any meaningful resistance; be assertive to the extent possible; small resistance against injustice has often led to a big change in the environment
- Educate others about their rights and advocate for them whenever possible
- Fulfill your commitments or do not commit
- Be civil in your dealings with people
- Be kind, humble and forgiving while dealing with the less privileged. If you can't do anything for them, at least show them some respect
- Support others; in ideas, thoughts, emotions or deeds
- Do not pollute your environment and help clean up
- Try to produce more than you consume; replace what you use up
- Plant a tree. All it takes is a seed.
- Don't sit idle, do something; If you can't find a job, do some volunteering or community service; but don't waste time; it's your life
- If you don't have much capability or resources find someone who does; someone who is already doing some good or is planning to do so; join hands and support the cause in whichever way possible
- Control your moods and emotions; If you are in a negative state (depressed, frustrated, angry) don't shower it on others; If you don't have anything positive or constructive to say, keep quite
- Make an effort to learn and grow; from books, people, events etc.
- Try to practice any positive values or knowledge that you may acquire; and spread
- Do not form views on important issues merely on the assertions of the electronic media; it mostly targets your emotions, which suppresses your rational mind; think independently and use facts from multiple sources to form opinions
- Do not be a spectator on election day; cast your vote to the most suitable candidate or political party; there are no saints here, so just pick the better; but do not waste your vote
Your responsible attitude towards life would help make this country a civilized place; you don't need a million dollar for that, do you?
Back to "What Can I Do?"