Excerpts from Quran: A Call to Observe and Reflect
- Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the Night and the Day; in the sailing of the ships through the Ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth; (here) indeed are signs for a people that are wise.
Yet there are men who take (for worship) others besides Allah, as equal (with Allah); they love them as they should love Allah. But those of faith are overflowing in their love for Allah. If only the unrighteous could see, behold, they would see the Punishment: that to Allah belongs all power, and Allah will strongly enforce the Punishment.Al-Baqara - 2:164-165
- Many were the Ways of Life that have passed away before you: travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who rejected Truth.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:137
- And now they reject the truth when it reaches them: but soon shall they learn the reality of what they used to mock at.
See they not how many of those before them We did destroy? Generations We had established on the earth, in strength such as We have not given to you, for whom We poured out rain from the skies in abundance, and gave streams flowing beneath their (feet): yet for their sins We destroyed them, and raised in their wake fresh generations (to succeed them).Al-Anaam - 6:5-6
- Say (unto the disbelievers): Travel in the land, and see the nature of the consequence for the rejecters!
Al-Anaam - 6:11
- What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the Home in the Hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will ye not then understand?
Al-Anaam - 6:32
- Say: "Think ye to yourselves, if there come upon you the Wrath of Allah or the Hour (that ye dread), would ye then call upon other than Allah? (Reply) if ye are truthful!
Al-Anaam - 6:40
- It is He who sendeth down rain from the skies: with it We produce vegetation of all kinds: from some We produce green (crops), out of which We produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date-palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. Behold! in these things there are signs for people who believe.
Al-Anaam - 6:99
- It is He who sendeth the winds like heralds of glad tidings going before His Mercy: when they have carried the heavy-laden clouds, We drive them to a land that is dead, make rain to descend thereon, and produce every kind of harvest therewith: thus shall We raise up the dead: perchance ye may remember.
Al-Araf - 7:57
- Verily, in the alternation of the Night and the Day, and in all that Allah hath created in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who fear Him.
Yunus - 10:6
- Mankind was but one nation, but differed (later). Had it not been for a word that went forth before from thy Lord, their differences would have been settled between them.
Yunus - 10:19
- The likeness of the life of the present is as the rain which We send down from the skies: by its mingling arises the produce of the earth - which provides food for men and animals: (it grows) till the earth is clad with its golden ornaments and is decked out (in beauty): the people to whom it belongs think they have all powers of disposal over it: there reaches it Our command by night or by day, and We make it like a harvest clean-mown, as if it had not flourished only the day before! Thus do We explain the Signs in detail for those who reflect.
Yunus - 10:24
- Say: "Who is it that sustains you (in life) from the sky and from the earth? Or who is it that has power over hearing and sight? And who is it that brings out the living from the dead And the dead from the living? And who is it that rules and regulates all affairs?" They will soon say "Allah." Say "Will ye not then show piety (to Him)?"
Yunus - 10:31
- Say: Have ye thought: When His doom cometh unto you as a raid by night, or in the (busy) day; what is there of it that the guilty ones desire to hasten?
Is it (only) then, when it hath befallen you, that ye will believe? What! (Believe) now, when (until now) ye have been hastening it on (through disbelief)?Yunus - 10:50-51
- He it is that hath made you the night that ye may rest therein, and the Day to make things visible (to you). Verily in this are Signs for those who listen (to His Message).
Yunus - 10:67
- We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)."
(It was said to him): "Ah now! but a little while before, wast thou in rebellion! and thou didst mischief (and violence)!
"This day shall We save thee in thy body, that thou mayest be a Sign to those who come after thee! But verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"Yunus - 10:90-92
- If it had been the Lord's Will they would all have believed all who are on earth! Wilt thou then compel mankind against their will to believe!
No soul can believe except by the Will of Allah and He will place Doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand.Yunus - 10:99-100
- These are some of the stories of communities which We relate unto thee: of them some are standing, and some have been mown down (by the sickle of time).
It was not We that wronged them: they wronged their own souls: the deities, other than Allah, whom they invoked, profited them no whit when there issued the decree of thy Lord: nor did they add aught (to their lot) but perdition!
Such is the penalty of thy Lord when He chastises communities in the midst of their wrong: grievous, indeed, and severe is His chastisement.
In that is a Sign for those who fear the Penalty of the Hereafter: that is a Day for which mankind will be gathered together: that will be a Day of Testimony.Hud - 11:100-103
- If thy Lord had so willed, He could have made mankind one People: but they will not cease to dispute
Hud - 11:118
- And how many Signs in the heavens and the earth do they pass by? Yet they turn (their faces) away from them!
Yusuf - 12:105
- We sent not before thee (any messengers) save men whom We inspired from among the folk of the townships - Have they not travelled in the land and seen the nature of the consequence for those who were before them? And verily the abode of the Hereafter, for those who ward off (evil), is best. Have ye then no sense?
Till, when the messengers despaired and thought that they were denied, then came unto them Our help, and whom We would was saved. And Our wrath cannot be warded from the guilty.
In their history verily there is a lesson for men of understanding. It is no invented story but a confirmation of the existing (Scripture) and a detailed explanation of everything, and a guidance and a mercy for folk who believe.Yusuf - 12:109-111
- And it is He Who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the Night as a veil o'er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are Signs for those who consider!
Al-Rad - 13:3
- And in the earth are tracts (diverse though) neighbouring, and gardens of vines and fields sown with corn, and palm trees, growing out of single roots or otherwise: watered with the same water, yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat. Behold, verily in these things there are Signs for those who understand!
Al-Rad - 13:4
- He sends down water from the skies, and the channels flow, each according to its measure: but the torrent bears away the foam that mounts up to the surface. Even so, from that (ore) which they heat in the fire, to make ornaments or utensils therewith there is a scum likewise. Thus doth Allah (by parables) show forth Truth and Vanity: For the scum disappears like froth cast out; while that which is for the good of mankind remains on the earth. Thus doth Allah set forth parables.
Al-Rad - 13:17
- Seest thou not how Allah coineth a similitude: A goodly saying, as a goodly tree, its root set firm, its branches reaching into heaven
Giving its fruit at every season by permission of its Lord? Allah coineth the similitudes for mankind in order that they may reflect.
And the similitude of a bad saying is as a bad tree, uprooted from upon the earth, possessing no stability.Ibrahim - 14:24-26
- But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before morning
And We turned (the Cities) upside down, and rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay.
Behold! in this are Signs for those who by tokens do understand.
And the (cities were) right on the highroad.
Behold! in this is a Sign for those who believe!
And the Companions of the Wood were also wrongdoers;
So We exacted retribution from them. They were both on an open highway, plain to see.
The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the messengers:
We sent them Our Signs, but they persisted in turning away from them.
Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices (feeling themselves) secure.
But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning
And of no avail to them was all that they did (with such art and care)!Al-Hijr - 15:73-84
- It is He Who sends down rain from the sky: from it ye drink, and out of it (grows) the vegetation on which ye feed your cattle.
With it He produces for you corn, olives, date-palms, grapes, and every kind of fruit: verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought.An-Nahl - 16:10-11
- And He hath constrained the night and the day and the sun and the moon to be of service unto you, and the stars are made subservient by His command. Lo! herein indeed are portents for people who have sense.
An-Nahl - 16:12
- And whatsoever He hath created for you in the earth of divers hues, lo! therein is indeed a portent for people who take heed.
An-Nahl - 16:13
- And He it is Who hath constrained the sea to be of service that ye eat fresh meat from thence, and bring forth from thence ornaments which ye wear. And thou seest the ships ploughing it that ye (mankind) may seek of His bounty and that haply ye may give thanks.
And He hath cast into the earth firm hills that it quake not with you, and streams and roads that ye may find a way.
And landmarks (too), and by the star they find a way.
Is He then Who createth as him who createth not? Will ye not then remember?An-Nahl - 16:14-17
- For We assuredly sent amongst every People a messenger, (with the Command) "Serve Allah, and eschew Evil": of the people were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom Error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth).
An-Nahl - 16:36
- Have they not observed all things that Allah hath created, how their shadows incline to the right and to the left, making prostration unto Allah, and they are lowly?
And unto Allah maketh prostration whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth of living creatures, and the angels (also) and they are not proud.
They fear their Lord above them, and do what they are bidden.An-Nahl - 16:48-50
- And Allah sends down rain from the skies, and gives therewith life to the earth after its death: verily in this is a Sign for those who listen.
An-Nahl - 16:65
- And verily in cattle (too) will ye find an instructive Sign. From what is within their bodies, between excretions and blood, We produce for your drink, milk, pure and agreeable to those who drink it.
An-Nahl - 16:66
- And thy Lord inspired the bee, saying: Choose thou habitations in the hills and in the trees and in that which they thatch;
Then eat of all fruits, and follow the ways of thy Lord, made smooth (for thee). There cometh forth from their bellies a drink divers of hues, wherein is healing for mankind. Lo! herein is indeed a portent for people who reflect.An-Nahl - 16:68-69
- Do they not look at the birds, held poised in the midst of (the air and) the sky? Nothing holds them up but (the power of) Allah. Verily in this are Signs for those who believe.
An-Nahl - 16:79
- Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?
Al-Anbiya - 21:30
- And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive guidance.
And We have made the heavens as a canopy well-guarded: Yet do they turn away from the Signs which these things (point to)!Al-Anbiya - 21:31-32
- And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit.
Al-Anbiya - 21:33
- O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm then out of a leech-like clot, then out a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (Our Power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much). And (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs).
This is so, because Allah is the Reality: it is He Who gives life to the dead, and it is He Who has power over all things.Al-Hajj - 22:5-6
- How many populations have We destroyed, which were given to wrong-doing? They tumbled down on their roofs. And how many wells are lying idle and neglected, and castles lofty and well-built?
Do they not travel through the land, so that their hearts (and mind) may thus learn wisdom and their ears may thus learn to hear? Truly it is not their eyes that are blind, but their hearts which are in their breasts.Al-Hajj - 22:45-46
- That (is so). And whoso hath retaliated with the like of that which he was made to suffer and then hath (again) been wronged, Allah will succour him. Lo! Allah verily is Mild, Forgiving.
That is because Allah maketh the night to pass into the day and maketh the day to pass into the night, and because Allah is Hearer, Seer.Al-Hajj - 22:60-61
- Seest thou not that Allah has made subject to you (men) all that is on the earth, and the ships that sail through the sea by His command? He withholds the sky (rain) from falling on the earth except by His leave: for Allah is Most Kind and Most Merciful to man.
It is He Who gave you life, will cause you to die, and will again give you life: truly man is a most ungrateful creature!Al-Hajj - 22:65-66
- Verily We created man from a product of wet earth;
Then placed him as a drop (of seed) in a safe lodging;
Then fashioned We the drop a clot, then fashioned We the clot a little lump, then fashioned We the little lump bones, then clothed the bones with flesh, and then produced it as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators!
Then lo! after that ye surely die.
Then lo! on the Day of Resurrection ye are raised (again).Al-Mumenoon - 23:12-16
- And We have made, above you seven tracts; and We are never unmindful of (Our) Creation.
Al-Mumenoon - 23:17
- Or do they say "He is possessed"? Nay he has brought them the Truth, but most of them hate the Truth.
If the Truth had been in accord with their desires, truly the heavens and the earth, and all beings therein would have been in confusion and corruption! Nay We have sent them their admonition, but they turn away from their admonition.Al-Mumenoon - 23:70-71
- It is He Who has created for you (the faculties of) hearing, sight, feeling, and understanding: little thanks it is ye give!
And He has multiplied you through the earth, and to Him shall ye be gathered back.
It is He Who gives life and death and to Him (is due) the alternation of Night and Day: will ye not then understand?Al-Mumenoon - 23:78-80
- On the contrary they say things similar to what the ancients said.
They say: "What! when we die and become dust and bones, could we really be raised up again?
"Such things have been promised to us and to our fathers before! They are nothing but tales of the ancients!"
Say: "To whom belongs the earth and all beings therein? (Say) if ye know!"
They will say "To Allah!" Say: "Yet will ye not receive admonition?"
Say: "Who is the Lord of the seven heavens and the Lord of the Throne (of Glory) Supreme?"
They will say "(They belong) to Allah." Say: "Will ye not then be filled with awe?"
Say: "Who is it in whose hands is the governance of all things who protects (all) but is not protected (of any)? (Say) if ye know."
They will say "(It belongs) to Allah." Say: "Then how are ye deluded?"
We have sent them the Truth: but they indeed practise Falsehood!Al-Mumenoon - 23:81-90
- Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light. Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah setteth forth for mankind similitudes, for Allah is Knower of all things.
(This lamp is found) in houses which Allah hath allowed to be exalted and that His name shall be remembered therein. Therein do offer praise to Him at morn and evening.
Men whom neither merchandise nor sale beguileth from remembrance of Allah and constancy in prayer and paying to the poor their due; who fear a day when hearts and eyeballs will be overturned;Al-Noor - 24:35-37
- As for those who disbelieve, their deeds are as a mirage in a desert. The thirsty one supposeth it to be water till he cometh unto it and findeth it naught, and findeth, in the place thereof, Allah Who payeth him his due; and Allah is swift at reckoning.
Or as darkness on a vast, abysmal sea. There covereth him a wave, above which is a wave, above which is a cloud. Layer upon layer of darkness. When he holdeth out his hand he scarce can see it. And he for whom Allah hath not appointed light, for him there is no light.Al-Noor - 24:39-40
- Seest thou not that it is Allah Whose praises all beings in the heavens and on earth do celebrate, and the birds (of the air) with wings outspread? Each one knows its own (mode of) prayer and praise. And Allah knows well all that they do.
Al-Noor - 24:41
- Seest thou not that Allah makes the clouds move gently, then joins them together, then makes them into a heap? then wilt thou see rain issue forth from their midst. And He sends down from the sky mountain masses (of clouds) wherein is hail: He strikes therewith whom He pleases and He turns it away fro whom He pleases. The vivid flash of its lightning well-nigh blinds the sight.
It is Allah Who alternates the Night and the Day: verily in these things is an instructive example for those who have vision!Al-Noor - 24:43-44
- And Allah has created every animal from water: of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills: for verily Allah has power over all things.
We have indeed sent down Signs that make things manifest: and Allah guides whom He wills to a way that is straight.Al-Noor - 24:45-46
- He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: no son has He begotten, nor has He a partner in His dominion: it is He Who created all things and ordered them in due proportions.
Yet have they taken besides Him, gods that can create nothing but are themselves created; that have no control of hurt or good to themselves; nor can they control Death nor Life nor Resurrection.Al-Furqan - 25:2-3
- Hast thou seen him who chooseth for his god his own lust? Wouldst thou then be guardian over him?
Or deemest thou that most of them hear or understand? They are but as the cattle - nay, but they are farther astrayAl-Furqan - 25:43-44
- Hast thou not turned thy vision to thy Lord? How He doth prolong the Shadow! If He willed, He could make it stationary! Then do We make the sun its guide:
Then We draw it in towards Ourselves - a contraction by easy stages.Al-Furqan - 25:45-46
- It may be thou frettest thy soul with grief, that they do not become Believers.
If (such) were Our Will, We could send down to them from the sky a Sign, to which they would bend their necks in humility.
But there comes not to them a newly-revealed Message from (Allah) Most Gracious, but they turn away therefrom.Al-Shuara - 26:3-5
- Have they not seen the earth, how much of every fruitful kind We make to grow therein?
Lo! herein is indeed a portent; yet most of them are not believers.Al-Shuara - 26:7-8
- (The tribe of) A'ad denied the messengers (of Allah).
When their brother Hud said unto them: Will ye not ward off (evil)?
Lo! I am a faithful messenger unto you
So keep your duty to Allah and obey me.
And I ask of you no wage therefor; my wage is the concern only of the Lord of the Worlds.
Build ye on every high place a monument for vain delight?
And seek ye out strongholds, that haply ye may last for ever?
And if ye seize by force, seize ye as tyrants?
Rather keep your duty to Allah, and obey me.
Keep your duty toward Him Who hath aided you with (the good things) that ye know
Hath aided you with cattle and sons.
And gardens and watersprings.
Lo! I fear for you the retribution of an awful day.
They said: It is all one to us whether thou preachest or art not of those who preach;
This is but a fable of the men of old
And we shall not be doomed.
And they denied him; therefor We destroyed them. Lo! herein is indeed a portent, yet most of them are not believers.
And lo! thy Lord, He is indeed the Mighty, the Merciful.Al-Shuara - 26:123-140
- Or, who listens to the (soul) distressed when it calls on Him, and who relieves its suffering, and makes you (mankind) inheritors of the earth? (Can there be another) god besides Allah? Little it is that ye heed!
Al-Naml - 27:62
- Or who originates Creation, then repeats it, and who gives you sustenance from heaven and earth? (Can there be another) god besides Allah? Say "Bring forth your argument, if ye are telling the truth!"
Al-Naml - 27:64
- See they not that We have made the Night for them to rest in and the Day to give them light? Verily in this are Signs for any people that believe!
Al-Naml - 27:86
- Nor was thy Lord the one to destroy a population until He had sent to its Center a messenger, rehearsing to them Our Signs: nor are We going to destroy a population except when its members practise iniquity.
Al-Qasas - 28:59
- And whatsoever ye have been given is a comfort of the life of the world and an ornament thereof; and that which Allah hath is better and more lasting. Have ye then no sense?
Al-Qasas - 28:60
- Say: Have ye thought, if Allah made night everlasting for you till the Day of Resurrection, who is a God beside Allah who could bring you light? Will ye not then hear?
Say: Have ye thought, if Allah made day everlasting for you till the Day of Resurrection, who is a God beside Allah who could bring you night wherein ye rest? Will ye not then see?
Of His mercy hath He appointed for you night and day, that therein ye may rest, and that ye may seek His bounty, and that haply ye may be thankful.Al-Qasas - 28:71-73
- See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.
Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation: so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.Al-Ankaboot - 29:19-20
- And when Our Messengers came to Lut, he was grieved on their account, and felt himself powerless (to protect) them: but they said "Fear thou not nor grieve: we are (here) to save thee and thy following, except thy wife: she is of those who lag behind.
"For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they have been wickedly rebellious."
And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any people who (care to) understand.Al-Ankaboot - 29:33-35
- And such are the Parables We set forth for mankind, but only those understand them who have Knowledge.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:43
- O My servants who believe! Truly, spacious is My Earth: therefore serve ye Me (and Me alone)!
Al-Ankaboot - 29:56
- How many are the creatures that carry not their own sustenance? It is Allah Who feeds (both) them and you: for He hears and knows (all things).
Al-Ankaboot - 29:60
- What is the life of this world but amusement and play? But verily the Home in the Hereafter that is life indeed if they but knew.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:64
- Have they not seen that We have appointed a sanctuary immune (from violence), while mankind are ravaged all around them? Do they then believe in falsehood and disbelieve in the bounty of Allah?
Al-Ankaboot - 29:67
- Have they not pondered upon themselves? Allah created not the heavens and the earth, and that which is between them, save with truth and for a destined end. But truly many of mankind are disbelievers in the meeting with their Lord.
Al-Room - 30:8
- Among His Signs is this that He created you from dust; and then Behold ye are men scattered (far and wide)!
And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts); verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.
And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who know.
And among His Signs is the sleep that ye take by night and by day, and the quest that ye (make for livelihood) out of His Bounty: verily in that are Signs for those who hearken.
And among His Signs, He shows you the lightning, by way both of fear and of hope, and He sends down rain from the sky and with it gives life to the earth after it is dead: verily in that are Signs for those who are wise.
And among His Signs is this that heaven and earth stand by His Command: then when He calls you, by a single call, from the earth, behold, ye (straightway) come forth.
To Him belongs every being that is in the heavens and on earth: all are devoutly obedient to Him.Al-Room - 30:20-26
- And when We cause mankind to taste of mercy they rejoice therein; but if an evil thing befall them as the consequence of their own deeds, lo! they are in despair!
See they not that Allah enlargeth the provision for whom He will, and straiteneth (it for whom He will). Lo! herein indeed are portents for folk who believe.Al-Room - 30:36-37
- Say: "Travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before (you): most of them worshipped others besides Allah."
Al-Room - 30:42
- And of His signs is this: He sendeth herald winds to make you taste His mercy, and that the ships may sail at His command, and that ye may seek his favour, and that haply ye may be thankful.
Al-Room - 30:46
- It is Allah Who sends the Winds, and they raise the Clouds: then does He spread them in the sky as He wills, and break them into fragments, until thou seest rain-drops issue from the midst thereof: then when He has made them reach such of his servants as He wills, behold they do rejoice!
Even though, before they received (the rain) - just before this - they were dumb with despair!
Then contemplate (O man!) the tokens of Allah's Mercy! how He gives life to the earth after its death: verily the Same will give life to the men who are dead: for He has power over all things.Al-Room - 30:48-50
- Allah is He Who shaped you out of weakness, then appointed after weakness strength, then, after strength, appointed weakness and grey hair. He createth what He will. He is the Knower, the Mighty.
Al-Room - 30:54
- He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.
Such is the Creation of Allah: now show Me what is there that others besides Him have created: nay, but the Transgressors are in manifest error.Luqman - 31:10-11
- Do ye not see that Allah has subjected to your (use) all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made His bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both) seen and unseen? Yet there are among men those who dispute about Allah without knowledge and without guidance, and without a Book to enlighten them!
Luqman - 31:20
- Seest thou not that Allah merges Night into Day and He merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the sun and the moon (to His Law), each running its course for a term appointed: and that Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do?
Luqman - 31:29
- Seest thou not that the ships sail through the Ocean by the grace of Allah? that He may show you of His Signs? Verily, in this are Signs for all who constantly persevere and give thanks.
When a wave covers them like the canopy (of clouds), they call upon Allah, offering Him sincere devotion. But when He has delivered them safely to land, there are among them those that halt between (right and wrong). But none reject Our Signs except only a perfidious ungrateful (wretch)!Luqman - 31:31-32
- He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning.
As-Sajda - 32:5
- Who made all things good which He created, and He began the creation of man from clay;
Then He made his seed from a draught of despised fluid;
Then He fashioned him and breathed into him of His Spirit; and appointed for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give ye!As-Sajda - 32:7-9
- Have they not seen how We lead the water to the barren land and therewith bring forth crops whereof their cattle eat, and they themselves? Will they not then see?
As-Sajda - 32:27
- Between them and the Cities on which We had poured Our blessings We had placed Cities in prominent positions, and between them We had appointed stages of journey in due proportion: "Travel therein secure by night and by day."
But they said: "Our Lord! place longer distances between our journey-stages." but they wronged themselves (therein). At length We made them as a tale (that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul that is) patiently constant and grateful.
And on them did Satan prove true his idea, and they followed him, all but a Party that believed.
But he had no authority over them - except that We might test the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt concerning it: and thy Lord doth watch over all things.Saba - 34:18-21
- And Allah it is Who sendeth the winds and they raise a cloud; then We lead it unto a dead land and revive therewith the earth after its death. Such is the Resurrection.
Fatir - 35:9
- Nor are the two bodies of flowing water alike - the one palatable, sweet, and pleasant to drink, and the other salty and bitter. Yet from each (kind of water) do ye eat flesh fresh and tender and ye extract ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the Bounty of Allah that ye may be grateful.
Fatir - 35:12
- The blind and the seeing are not alike;
Nor are the depths of Darkness and the Light;
Nor are the (chilly) shade and the (genial) heat of the sun:
Nor are alike those that are living and those that are dead. Allah can make any that He wills to hear; but thou canst not make those to hear who are (buried) in graves.
Thou art no other than a warner.Fatir - 35:19-23
- Lo! Allah graspeth the heavens and the earth that they deviate not, and if they were to deviate there is not one that could grasp them after Him. Lo! He is ever Clement, Forgiving.
Fatir - 35:41
- A Sign for them is the earth that is dead; We do give it life, and produce grain therefrom, of which ye do eat.
And We produce therein orchards with date-palms and Vines, and We cause springs to gush forth therein.
That they may enjoy the fruits of this (artistry): it was not their hands that made this: will they not then give thanks?Ya-Seen - 36:33-35
- A token unto them is night. We strip it of the day, and lo! they are in darkness.
And the sun runneth on unto a resting-place for him. That is the measuring of the Mighty, the Wise.
And for the moon We have appointed mansions till she return like an old shrivelled palm-leaf.
It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.Ya-Seen - 36:37-40
- If We grant long life to any, We cause him to be reversed in nature: will they not then understand?
Ya-Seen - 36:68
- Hath not man seen that We have created him from a drop of seed? Yet lo! he is an open opponent.
And he hath coined for Us a similitude, and hath forgotten the fact of his creation, saying: Who will revive these bones when they have rotted away?
Say: He will revive them Who produced them at the first, for He is Knower of every creation,
Who hath appointed for you fire from the green tree, and behold! ye kindle from it.
Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the like of them? Aye, that He is! for He is the All-Wise Creator,
But His command, when He intendeth a thing, is only that he saith unto it: Be! and it is.
Therefor glory be to Him in Whose hand is the dominion over all things! Unto Him ye will be brought back.Ya-Seen - 36:77-83
- He created you from one being, then from that (being) He made its mate; and He hath provided for you of cattle eight kinds. He created you in the wombs of your mothers, creation after creation, in a threefold gloom. Such is Allah, your Lord. His is the Sovereignty. There is no God save Him. How then are ye turned away?
Az-Zumar - 39:6
- Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky, and leads it through springs in the earth? Then He causes to grow, therewith produce of various colours: then it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then He makes it dry up and crumble away. Truly in this is a Message of remembrance to men of understanding.
Az-Zumar - 39:21
- And verily We have coined for mankind in this Qur'an all kinds of similitudes, that haply they may reflect;
Az-Zumar - 39:27
- Allah coineth a similitude: A man in relation to whom are several part-owners, quarrelling, and a man belonging wholly to one man. Are the two equal in similitude? Praise be to Allah! But most of them know not.
Az-Zumar - 39:29
- It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death: and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed. Verily in this are Signs for those who reflect.
Az-Zumar - 39:42
- Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who disbelieved before them? They were mightier than these in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. Yet Allah seized them for their sins, and they had no protector from Allah.
That was because their messengers kept bringing them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) but they disbelieved; so Allah seized them. Lo! He is Strong, severe in punishment.Al-Momin - 40:21-22
- Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is greater than the creation of mankind; but most of mankind know not.
And the blind man and the seer are not equal, neither are those who believe and do good works (equal with) the evil-doer. Little do ye reflect!Al-Momin - 40:57-58
- He it is Who created you from dust, then from a drop (of seed) then from a clot, then bringeth you forth as a child, then (ordaineth) that ye attain full strength and afterward that ye become old men - though some among you die before - and that ye reach an appointed term, that haply ye may understand.
Al-Momin - 40:67
- It is Allah Who made cattle for you, that ye may use some for riding and some for food;
And there are (other) advantages in them for you (besides); that ye may through them attain to any need (there may be) in your hearts; and on them and on ships ye are carried.
And He shows you (always) His Signs; then which of the Signs of Allah will ye deny?Al-Momin - 40:79-81
- Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those before them? They were more numerous than these, and mightier in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. But all that they used to earn availed them not.
Al-Momin - 40:82
- Say: Is it that ye Deny Him Who created the earth in two Days? And do ye join equals with Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds.
He set on the (earth) mountains standing firm, high above it, and bestowed blessings on the earth and measured therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, in four Days, in accordance with (the needs of) those who seek (sustenance).
Moreover, He Comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."
So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of knowledge.Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:9-12
- As for A'ad, they were arrogant in the land without right, and they said: Who is mightier than us in power? Could they not see that Allah Who created them, He was mightier than them in power? And they denied Our revelations.
Therefor We let loose on them a raging wind in evil days, that We might make them taste the torment of disgrace in the life of the world. And verily the doom of the Hereafter will be more shameful, and they will not be helped.Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:15-16
- That, your thought which ye did think about your Lord, hath ruined you; and ye find yourselves (this day) among the lost.
Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:23
- And among His Signs is this: thou seest the earth barren and desolate; but when We send down rain to it, it is stirred to life and yields increase. Truly He Who gives life to the (dead) earth can surely give life to (men) who are dead. For He has power over all things.
Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:39
- Soon will We show them Our Signs in the (furthest) regions (of the earth), and in their own souls until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth. Is it not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things?
Ha Meem As-Sajda - 41:53
- Now whatever ye have been given is but a passing comfort for the life of the world, and that which Allah hath is better and more lasting for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord
Ash-Shura - 42:36
- Then watch thou for the Day that the sky will bring forth a kind of smoke (or mist) plainly visible.
Enveloping the people: this will be a Penalty grievous.Ad-Dukhan - 44:10-11
- It is Allah Who has subjected the sea to you, that ships may sail through it by His command, that ye may seek of His Bounty, and that ye may be grateful.
And He has subjected to you, as from Him, all that is in the heavens and on earth: behold in that are Signs indeed for those who reflect.Al-Jathiya - 45:12-13
- And make mention (O Muhammad) of the brother of A'ad when he warned his folk among the wind-curved sandhills - and verily warners came and went before and after him - saying: Serve none but Allah. Lo! I fear for you the doom of a tremendous Day.
They said: Hast come to turn us away from our gods? Then bring upon us that wherewith thou threatenest us, if thou art of the truthful.
He said: The knowledge is with Allah only. I convey unto you that wherewith I have been sent, but I see you are a folk that know not.
Then, when they beheld it as a dense cloud coming toward their valleys, they said: Here is a cloud bringing us rain. Nay, but it is that which ye did seek to hasten, a wind wherein is painful torment
Destroying all things by commandment of its Lord. And morning found them so that naught could be seen save their dwellings. Thus do We reward the guilty folk.Al-Ahqaf - 46:21-25
- Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who were before them? Allah wiped them out. And for the disbelievers there will be the like thereof.
That is because Allah is patron of those who believe, and because the disbelievers have no patron.Muhammad - 47:10-11
- Is he who relieth on a clear proof from his Lord like those for whom the evil that they do is beautified while they follow their own lusts?
Muhammad - 47:14
- We already know how much of them the earth takes away: with Us is a Record guarding (the full account).
But they deny the truth when it comes to them: So they are in a confused state.
Do they not look at the sky above them? How We have made it and adorned, it and there are no flaws in it?
And the earth--We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and produced therein every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs)
To be observed and commemorated by every devotee turning (to Allah).
And We send down from the sky Rain charged with blessing, and We produce therewith Gardens and Grain for harvests;
And tall (and stately) palm-trees, with shoots of fruit-stalks piled one over another
As sustenance for (Allah's) Servants; and We give (new) life therewith to land that is dead: Thus will be the Resurrection.Qaf - 50:4-11
- By the (Winds) that scatter broadcast;
And those that lift and bear away heavy weights;
And those that flow with ease and gentleness;
And those that distribute and apportion by command
Verily that which ye are promised is trueAdh-Dhariyat - 51:1-5
- By the heaven full of paths
Adh-Dhariyat - 51:7
- And in the earth are portents for those whose faith is sure.
And (also) in yourselves. Can ye then not see?Adh-Dhariyat - 51:20-21
- We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).
And the earth have We laid out, how gracious is the Spreader (thereof)!
And all things We have created by pairs, that haply ye may reflect.Adh-Dhariyat - 51:47-49
- The day when they are thrust with a (disdainful) thrust, into the fire of hell
At-Tur - 52:13
- By the Star when it setteth
An-Najm - 53:1
- Do ye then wonder at this recital?
And will ye laugh and not weep
Wasting your time in vanities?
But fall ye down in prostration to Allah and adore (Him)!An-Najm - 53:59-62
- O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth, then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction.
Ar-Rahman - 55:33
- And when the heaven splitteth asunder and becometh rosy like red hide
Ar-Rahman - 55:37
- See ye the seed that ye sow in the ground?
Is it ye that cause it to grow or are We the Cause?
Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry powder, and ye would be left in wondermentAl-Waqia - 56:63-65
- Nay, I swear by the places of the stars
And lo! that verily is a tremendous oath, if ye but knewAl-Waqia - 56:75-76
- Know that the life of the world is only play, and idle talk, and pageantry, and boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children; as the likeness of vegetation after rain, whereof the growth is pleasing to the husbandman, but afterward it drieth up and thou seest it turning yellow, then it becometh straw. And in the Hereafter there is grievous punishment, and (also) forgiveness from Allah and His good pleasure, whereas the life of the world is but matter of illusion.
Al-Hadid - 57:20
- Had We sent down this Qur'an on a mountain, verily, thou would have seen it humble itself and cleave asunder for fear of Allah, such are the similitudes which We propound to men, that they may reflect.
Al-Hashr - 59:21
- And how many a community revolted against the ordinance of its Lord and His messengers, and We called it to a stern account and punished it with dire punishment
At-Talaq - 65:8
- Who hath created seven heavens in harmony. Thou (Muhammad) canst see no fault in the Beneficent One's creation; then look again: Canst thou see any rifts?
Then look again and yet again, thy sight will return unto thee weakened and made dim.
And verily We have beautified the world's heaven with lamps, and We have made them missiles for the devils, and for them We have prepared the doom of flame.Al-Mulk - 67:3-5
- He it is Who hath made the earth subservient unto you, so Walk in the paths thereof and eat of His providence. And unto Him will be the resurrection (of the dead).
Al-Mulk - 67:15
- Do they not observe the birds above them, spreading their wings and folding them in? None can uphold them except (Allah) Most Gracious: truly it is He that watches over all things.
Al-Mulk - 67:19
- Say: Have ye thought: If (all) your water were to disappear into the earth, who then could bring you gushing water?
Al-Mulk - 67:30
- The Reality!
What is the Reality?
Ah, what will convey unto thee what the reality is!
(The tribes of) Thamud and A'ad disbelieved in the judgment to come.
As for Thamud, they were destroyed by the lightning.
And as for A'ad, they were destroyed by a fierce roaring wind
Which He imposed on them for seven long nights and eight long days so that thou mightest have seen men lying overthrown, as they were hollow trunks of palm-trees.
Canst thou (O Muhammad) see any remnant of them?Al-Haaqqa - 69:1-8
- The day when the sky will become as molten copper
And the hills become as flakes of woolAl-Maarij - 70:8-9
- Nay, verily: by the Moon
And by the Night as it retreateth
And by the Dawn as it shineth forth
This is but one of the mighty (Portents)
A warning to mankindAl-Muddathir - 74:32-36
- Thinketh man that he is to be left aimless?
Was he not a drop of fluid which gushed forth?
Then he became a clot; then (Allah) shaped and fashioned
And made of him a pair, the male and female.
Is not He (Who doeth so) able to bring the dead to life?Al-Qiyama - 75:36-40
- Did We not destroy the men of old (for their evil)?
So shall We make later (generations) follow them.
Thus do We deal with men of sin.
Ah woe, that Day, to the Rejecters of Truth!Al-Mursalat - 77:16-19
- Did We not create you from a base fluid
Which We laid up in a safe abode
For a known term?
Thus We determined (things). How excellent is Our determining!
Woe unto the repudiators on that day!Al-Mursalat - 77:20-24
- Have We not made the earth (as a place) to draw together
The living and the dead
And made therein mountains standing firm, lofty (in stature); and provided for you water sweet (and wholesome)?
Ah woe, that Day, to the Rejecters of Truth!Al-Mursalat - 77:25-28
- Woe to man! what hath made him reject Allah?
From what stuff Hath He created him?
From a sperm-drop: He hath created him, and then mouldeth him in due proportions;
Then, doth He make His path smooth for him;Abasa - 80:17-20
- How We pour water in showers
Then split the earth in clefts
And cause the grain to grow therein
And grapes and green fodder
And olive-trees and palm-trees
And garden-closes of thick foliage
And fruits and grasses
Provision for you and your cattleAbasa - 80:25-32
- Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?
And at the Sky, how it is raised high?
And at the Mountains How they are fixed firm?
And at the Earth, how it is spread out?
Therefore do thou give admonition for thou art one to admonish.Al-Ghashiya - 88:17-21
- By the Dawn
And ten nights
And the Even and the Odd
And the night when it departeth
There surely is an oath for thinking manAl-Fajr - 89:1-5
- Nay, but verily man is rebellious
That he thinketh himself independent!
Lo! unto thy Lord is the returnAl-Alaq - 96:6-8