Excerpts from Quran: Children of Israel and the People of the Book (Ahl-ul-Kitab)
- O Children of Israel! Remember My favour wherewith I favoured you and how I preferred you to (all) creatures.
Al-Baqara - 2:47
- And remember We took a covenant from the children of Israel (to this effect): worship none but Allah; treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need; speak fair to the people; be steadfast in prayer; and give Zakat. Then did ye turn back except a few among you, and ye backslide (even now).
And remember We took your Covenant (to this effect): shed no blood amongst you, nor turn out your own people from your homes; and this ye solemnly ratified, and to this you were witness.
After this it is ye, the same people, who slay among yourselves, and banish a party of you from their homes; assist (their enemies) against them, in guilt and transgression; and if they come to you as captives, ye ransom them, though it was not lawful for you to banish them. Then is it only a part of the Book that ye believe in, and do ye reject the rest? But what is the reward for those among you who behave like this but disgrace in this life? And on the Day of Judgment they shall be consigned to the most grievous penalty For Allah is not unmindful of what ye do.Al-Baqara - 2:83-85
- And when there comes to them a Book from Allah, confirming what is with them - although from of old they had prayed for victory against those without faith - when there comes to them that which they (should) have recognized, they refuse to believe in it; but the curse of Allah is on those without Faith.
Miserable is the price for which they have sold their souls, in that they deny (the revelation) which Allah has sent down, in insolent envy that Allah of His Grace should send it to any of His servants He pleases; thus have they drawn on themselves wrath upon wrath. and humiliating is the punishment of those who reject Faith.
When it is said to them: "Believe in what Allah hath sent down" they say: "We believe in what was sent down to us"; yet they reject all besides even if it be Truth confirming what is with them. Say: "Why then have ye slain the prophets of Allah in times gone by if ye did indeed believe?"Al-Baqara - 2:89-91
- Say: "If the last Home with, Allah, be for you specially, and not for anyone else, then seek ye for death, if ye are sincere."
But they will never seek for death on account of the (sins) which their hands have sent on before them. And Allah is well-acquainted with the wrong-doers.
Thou wilt indeed find them, of all people, most greedy of life - even more than the idolaters; each one of them wishes he could be given a life of a thousand years; but the grant of such life will not save him from (due) punishment, for Allah sees well all that they do.Al-Baqara - 2:94-96
- Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion. Say: "The Guidance of Allah that is the (only) Guidance." Wert thou to follow their desires, after the knowledge which hath reached thee, then wouldst thou find neither protector nor Helper against Allah.
Al-Baqara - 2:120
- And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolaters.
Al-Baqara - 2:135
- Say: Will ye dispute with us about Allah, seeing that He is our Lord and your Lord; that we are responsible for our doings and ye for yours; and that we are sincere (in our faith) in Him?
Or do ye say that Abraham Ismail Isaac Jacob and the Tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Do ye know better than Allah? Ah! who is more unjust than those who conceal the testimony they have from Allah? But Allah is not unmindful of what ye do!
That was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did and ye of what ye do! Of their merits there is no question in your case.Al-Baqara - 2:139-141
- Those unto whom We gave the Scripture recognise (this revelation) as they recognise their sons. But lo! a party of them knowingly conceal the truth.
Al-Baqara - 2:146
- Hast thou not turned thy thought to those who have been given a portion of the Book? They are invited to the Book of Allah, to settle their dispute, but a party of them turn back and decline (the arbitration).
This because they say: "The fire shall not touch us but for a few numbered days"; for their forgeries deceive them as to their own religion.
But how (will they fare) when We gather them together against a Day about which there is no doubt and each soul will be paid out just what it has earned, without (favour or) injustice?Aal-e-Imran - 3:23-25
- Say: "O people of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: that we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not from among ourselves Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say: ye! "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's will)."
Aal-e-Imran - 3:64
- It is the wish of a section of the People of the Book to lead you astray. But they shall lead astray (not you) but themselves and they do not perceive!
Ye People of the Book! Why reject ye the Signs of Allah, of which ye are (yourselves) witnesses?
Ye People of the Book! Why do ye clothe truth with falsehood, and conceal the Truth while ye have knowledge?Aal-e-Imran - 3:69-71
- Among the People of the Book are some who, if entrusted with a hoard of gold, will (readily) pay it back; others, who if entrusted with a single silver coin, will not repay it unless thou constantly stoodest demanding because they, say "There is no call on us (to keep faith) with these ignorant (pagans)." But they tell a lie against Allah, and (well) they know it.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:75
- Not all of them are alike: of the People of the book are a portion that stand (for the right); they rehearse the signs of Allah all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration.
They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works; they are in the ranks of the righteous.
Of the good that they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for Allah knoweth well those that do right.Aal-e-Imran - 3:113-115
- If aught that is good befalls you it grieves them; but if some misfortune overtakes you, they rejoice at it. But if ye are patient and do right, not the least harm will their cunning do to you for Allah compasseth round about all that they do.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:120
- And lo! of the People of the Scripture there are some who believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto you and that which was revealed unto them, humbling themselves before Allah. They purchase not a trifling gain at the price of the revelations of Allah. Verily their reward is with their Lord. Lo! Allah is swift to take account.
Aal-e-Imran - 3:199
- O ye people of the Book! Believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-breakers: for the decision of Allah must be carried out.
An-Nisa - 4:47
- Hast thou not turned thy thought to those who were given a portion of the Book? They believe in sorcery and Evil and say to the Unbelievers that they are better guided in the (right) way than the Believers!
They are (men) whom Allah hath cursed: and those whom Allah hath cursed, thou wilt find, have no one to help.An-Nisa - 4:51-52
- Because of the wrongdoing of the Jews We forbade them good things which were (before) made lawful unto them, and because of their much hindering from Allah's way.
And of their taking usury when they were forbidden it, and of their devouring people's wealth by false pretences, We have prepared for those of them who disbelieve a painful doom.An-Nisa - 4:160-161
- Allah made a covenant of old with the Children of Israel and We raised among them twelve Chieftains, and Allah said: Lo! I am with you. If ye establish worship and pay the poor-due, and believe in My messengers and support them, and lend unto Allah a kindly loan, surely I shall remit your sins, and surely I shall bring you into gardens underneath which rivers flow. Whoso among you disbelieveth after this will go astray from a plain road.
And because of their breaking their covenant, We have cursed them and made hard their hearts. They change words from their context and forget a part of that whereof they were admonished. Thou wilt not cease to discover treachery from all save a few of them. But bear with them and pardon them. Lo! Allah loveth the kindly.Al-Maeda - 5:12-13
- And with those who say: "Lo! we are Christians," We made a covenant, but they forgot a part of that whereof they were admonished. Therefor We have stirred up enmity and hatred among them till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will inform them of their handiwork.
Al-Maeda - 5:14
- For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth.
Al-Maeda - 5:32
- If only they had stood fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord, they would have enjoyed happiness from every side. There is from among them a party on the right course; but many of them follow a course that is evil.
Al-Maeda - 5:66
- Strongest among men in enmity to the Believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the Believers wilt thou find those who say: "We are Christians:" because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant.
Al-Maeda - 5:82
- And We made a people, considered weak (and of no account), inheritors of lands in both East and West lands whereon We sent down Our blessings. The fair promise of thy Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel, because they had patience and constancy, and We levelled to the ground the great works and fine buildings which Pharaoh and his people erected (with such pride).
Al-Araf - 7:137
- Of the people of Moses there is a section who guide and do justice in the light of truth.
Al-Araf - 7:159
- We broke them up into sections on this earth. There are among them some that are the righteous, and some that are the opposite. We have tried them with both prosperity and adversity: in order that they might turn (to us).
After them succeeded an (evil) generation: they inherited the Book but they chose (for themselves) the vanities of this world, saying (for excuse): "(Everything) will be forgiven us." (Even so) if similar vanities came their way, they would (again) seize them. Was not the covenant of the Book taken from them, that they would not ascribe to Allah anything but the truth? And they study what is in the Book. But best for the righteous is the Home in the Hereafter: will ye not understand?Al-Araf - 7:168-169
- The Jews call Uzayr a son of Allah and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouths; (in this) they but imitate what the Unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!
They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of Allah, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary; Yet they were commanded to worship but one Allah: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to him: (far is He) from having the parents they associate (with him).Al-Tawba - 9:30-31
- We gave unto Moses the Scripture, and We appointed it a guidance for the children of Israel, saying: Choose no guardian beside Me.
Al-Isra - 17:2
- And We decreed for the Children of Israel in the Scripture: Ye verily will work corruption in the earth twice, and ye will become great tyrants.
So when the time for the first of the two came, We roused against you slaves of Ours of great might who ravaged (your) country, and it was a threat performed.
Then we gave you once again your turn against them, and We aided you with wealth and children and made you more in soldiery.
(Saying): If ye do good, ye do good for your own souls, and if ye do evil, it is for them (in like manner). So, when the time for the second (of the judgments) came (We roused against you others of Our slaves) to ravage you, and to enter the Temple even as they entered it the first time, and to lay waste all that they conquered with an utter wasting.
It may be that your Lord will have mercy on you, but if ye repeat (the crime) We shall repeat (the punishment), and We have appointed hell a dungeon for the disbelievers.Al-Isra - 17:4-8
- And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender.
Al-Ankaboot - 29:46
- We did aforetime grant to the Children of Israel the Book, the Power of Command and Prophethood; We gave them, for Sustenance, things good and pure; and We favoured them above the nations.
And We granted them clear Signs in affairs (of Religion): it was only after knowledge had been granted to them that they fell into schisms, through insolent envy among themselves. Verily thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgement as to those matters in which they set up differences.Al-Jathiya - 45:16-17
- He it is Who hath caused those of the People of the Scripture who disbelieved to go forth from their homes unto the first exile. Ye deemed not that they would go forth, while they deemed that their strongholds would protect them from Allah. But Allah reached them from a place whereof they recked not, and cast terror in their hearts so that they ruined their houses with their own hands and the hands of the believers. So learn a lesson, O ye who have eyes!
Al-Hashr - 59:2
- The likeness of those who are entrusted with the Law of Moses, yet apply it not, is as the likeness of the ass carrying books. Wretched is the likeness of folk who deny the revelations of Allah. And Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.
Al-Jumua - 62:5
- Say (O Muhammad): O ye who are Jews! If ye claim that ye are favoured of Allah apart from (all) mankind, then long for death if ye are truthful.
But they will never long for it because of all that their own hands have sent before, and Allah is Aware of evil-doers.Al-Jumua - 62:6-7
- Nor were the People of the Scripture divided until after the clear proof came unto them
And they are ordered naught else than to serve Allah, keeping religion pure for Him, as men by nature upright, and to establish worship and to pay the poor-due. That is true religion.
Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings
(And) lo! those who believe and do good works are the best of created beings
Their reward is with their Lord: Gardens of Eden underneath which rivers flow, wherein they dwell for ever. Allah hath pleasure in them and they have pleasure in Him. This is (in store) for him who feareth his LordAl-Bayyina - 98:4-8